[Rarebooks] FS: Fine ALS by G.B. Shaw responding to WWI battle experience manuscript with advice on publishing

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Oct 18 10:20:24 EDT 2005

 From our new list of GEORGE BERNARD SHAW items, 130 pieces including
manuscripts , letters, ephemera, and inscribed books.  See the entire list at:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

SHAW, George Bernard. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Parnasilla-on-
Sea:  10  August  1919. A two-page letter on both sides of a 5"  x  8"
piece  of  Great Southern Hotel stationery dated 10 August 1919 to  an
anonymous  recipient and SIGNED "G. Bernard Shaw." Shaw responds  to a
manuscript  sent to him about battle experience in World War I  giving
some  excellent  advice about publishing in the process. In part:  "It
is  quite  competently  written; and its eligibility  will  depend  on
circumstances  which have nothing to do with the literary merit of the
MS:  as, for instance, whether the publisher wants fresh matter at the
moment;  whether  he  wants that sort of matter;  whether  the  length
suits  the  price  at which he wants to put his books on  the  market;
whether  he  thinks  the public is or is not fed up  with  war  books;
whether  he  is bold or timid in showing up the seamy side of  popular
ideals;  whether  he  is  a revolutionary publisher or  a  club  and a
country  house  publisher;  and so on and so forth." Shaw goes  on  to
give  specific  constructive  advice   regarding  the  manuscript  and
concludes:  "I cannot deny that what you have to say could be said  in
a  ten  page  article as effectively. But that is true of  many  books
which  nevertheless manage to get themselves published." Along  with a
typed  transcript  of  the  letter. Though there  is  no  evidence  of
ownership,  this  item  came  from the collection  of  Harold  Ackert.
Creases from folding. Very Good                               $2000.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent