[Rarebooks] FS: Pennsyvania Deed for 400 Acres of Land, 1795

Mykaljon mjt at mjtbooks.com
Tue Sep 6 22:31:41 EDT 2005

PENNSYLVANIA

Deed of Sale of 400 Acres of land by William Johnston, "situate in
Westmoreland county, adjoining lands granted to
William Painter and others" to john Nicholson. printed document, with ink
insertions, sm. folio, creased at folds, signed
by Wm. Johnston and Witnessed by Saml. Jones, 16th Nov., 1795.

Included is a letter from The Commonwealth of Pennyslvania Bureau of
Archives and history, dated 1985, concerning a
previous owner's correspondence concerning this deed, which states

"Our records show that tract to be as follows:
Warrant #141, dated june 16, 1794, to William Johnston for 400 acres in
Westmoreland County. Surveyed on May 4,
1795 for 400 acres. patented to John Nicholson on November 8, 1796. Tract
name ---- "Canadia"."

As for Nicholson, I did find a record record of a Financier, one John
Nicholson of Westmoreland County,  being forced
to sell off large tracts of land (400 acre parcels) that he had owned along
with Financier Robert Morris in order to
satisfy their debts in 1798. Nicholson went to debtor's prison and died
there in 1800.

Images are here:

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/deed00.jpg

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/deed03.jpg