[Rarebooks] fs: Ancient Roman Baths... er, Bath

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Sep 14 10:41:09 EDT 2005

Scarth, Rev. H.M. AQUAE SOLIS, OR NOTICES OF ROMAN BATH. London; Simpkin,
Marshall & Co.: 1864. While acknowledging in his Introduction that prior
studies have focused on the Roman remains of Bath, the author points out
their shortcomings and inaccuracies, especially when transcribing and
illustrating inscriptions. He writes that "The author's great object has
been to collect together into one volume every fragment of the Roman times
which is known to have existed or is still preserved..." and he has indeed
collected tablets, metalwares, sculpture, architectural fragments, pottery,
funeral inscriptions, and many more interesting pieces of the Roman puzzle.
His descriptions are also quite painstaking, and the illustrations large
and, if not overly elegant, very clean and clear.

Scarth's chief aim seems to be to understand how the Romans and their
occupation affected Britain-

"The study is not a dry collation of meaningless relics, but the gathering
together of speaking memorials, which tell indeed of luxury, pomp, and
display, but of superstition and ignorance... If we view the Roman dominion
under its most favorable aspect, as the civilizer as well as the
subjugator... we can yet find deep traces of ignorance and barbarism... The
Roman occupation of this island must ever have a peculiar interest for its
inhabitants, when the effect it has had on our law and language is
considered. Much more is due to the Roman dominion than is generally
supposed, and it is only by studying the remains of art, the inscriptions,
and the language of that people, that we can adequately estimate the effect
of their rule."

Hardcover. 9.5"x11.5", xiii + 137 pages, plus 52 lithographed plates by
C.S. Beckett. Original gilt-stamped cloth covers, very minor cover soil,
and some interiors foxing in several signatures. [05192] $250.00

Pictures->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05192.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.