[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed Andrew Carnegie

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Sep 16 08:56:18 EDT 2005

CARNEGIE, Andrew. ROUND THE WORLD. New York: Scribner 1884.  First
Edition.  First  Trade  Edition  revised   from  a  privately  printed
edition.  Bound  in 3/4 burgundy morocco by Thomas W. Best  with  five
raised  bands, top edge gilt, marbled endpapers, gilt spine lettering,
and  the  original  cloth cover and backstrip bound at the  rear.  The
book  is dedicated to "my brother and trusty associates, who toiled at
home  that I might spend abroad." With a fine and large INSCRIPTION by
Carnegie  on  the  dedication  page:  "Yours  for  the  Brotherhood/of
Man/Andrew  Carnegie/New  York/Feby 6th/1901." At the bottom  Carnegie
has  added, "For James C. Young Esq/Minneapolis/Minn." Books  actually
signed  by  Carnegie,  as  opposed to bearing a  statement  "from  the
author,"  often  secretarially composed, are quite scarce.  This  is a
particularly nice example. Fine                               $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent