[Rarebooks] fs: Important Book on American Silver

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 20 09:22:46 EDT 2005

Kane, Patricia E.  COLONIAL MASSACHUSETTS SILVERSMITHS AND JEWELERS. A
biographical dictionary based on the notes of Francis Hill Bigelow & John
Marshall Phillips.

New Haven; Yale University Art Gallery: 1998.

A book almost a hundred years in the making, and quite simply the most
important book on American silversmiths since Belden’s study of the
Ineson-Bissell Collection at Winterthur.

Pioneering collector and scholar Francis Hill Bigelow died before his
notes, for a proposed Magnum Opus on Massachusetts silversmiths, could be
completed and made into book form. John Marshall Phillips, Curator of the
Garvan Collection at Yale, took over the project and added to the research,
but his untimely early death once again stopped the study in its tracks.

Finally, in the 1980s, Patricia Kane and her colleagues, working from the
original notes, embarked on a project to complete this ultimate reference,
now published here in all its massive glory. There are biographies of 296
silversmiths and jewelers who worked in Massachusetts before the American
Revolution, along with 93 craftsmen in allied trades.

Kane’s preface chronicles the ninety-two years of research and scholarship
that went into the book, and her essay focuses on the creative ferment in
Boston. Barbara McLean Ward’s essay describes the tools of the trade.
Gerald W. R. Ward discusses the differences between metropolitan and rural
silversmiths.

The ‘New York Silver Society Newsletter’ called this a “masterful
accomplishment
 and a source book that will well serve the next
generations of gold, silver, and jewelry historians.”

Our Book Elves at Joslin Hall simply
describe the book as “damned heavy”.

Hardcover. 8.5”x11.5”, 1,241 pages;
marks, dj. New.  [90139]  $150.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images90/th-90139.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.