[Rarebooks] FS: Carver. Voyages dans les Parties Interieures . . .

Isabel's Books mclcbooks at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 00:55:21 EDT 2005

For Sale:

Carver, Jonathan. Voyage dans les Parties Intérieures de l’Amérique Septrionale, Pendant les années 1766, 1767 & 1768. Paris: Pissot, 1784. 8vo. 24, xxviii, 451 pages. Contemporary quarter calf with gilt-stamped spine label. Folding copper-engraved map. First French edition, translated “par M. de C. [Chanla, pseudonym for Montucla] from the third English edition. Attractive map, with one small edge tear and some offsetting, shows Lakes Superior and Michigan as well as the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Howes notes that “Carver penetrated farther into the West than any other English explorer before the Revolution. . . . [stimulating] curiosity concerning routes to the Pacific, later satisfied by Mackenzie and Lewis and Clark.”  Covers and spine chipped and worn. Front joint cracked along bottom inch and a half. Top corner of front free endpaper chipped. Faint and very scattered foxing. Moderate toning to page edges. Still quite nice internally. Howes C215, Sabin 11188. $500.00
 postpaid.

Terms of sale:  All items are offered subject to prior sale.  Quoted shipping is media rate in the United States. For other methods of shipping, contact me for a price.  I accept payment by credit card (Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or American Express), check, money order, or Paypal.  I will bill libraries. All items may be returned for any reason within 10 days of receipt.  If you do choose to return something, please pack it carefully and notify me before shipping.

Michael

Michael Levine-Clark
Isabel's Books
mclcbooks at yahoo.com
http://www.isabelsbooks.com

Member, Independent Online Booksellers' Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org