[Rarebooks] fs: Americana Sale- 19th Century Books

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Sep 29 08:43:04 EDT 2005

It's AMERICANA WEEK at Joslin Hall!
Take 50% off any of the books on our Americana shelves-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/american.htm>

Going to be in Western Massachusetts?
Our office is open for browsing most afternoons
this week  -please call ahead.

[Ok, this first one is not American, but it was certainly -read- in
America, so we'll call that close enough...]

Bowles, Carrington (??).  THE SELF-INSTRUCTOR, OR, YOUNG MAN'S BEST
COMPANION....  Liverpool; printed by Henry Fisher, Caxton: nd
(ca.1817).  "Being an introduction to all the various branches of useful
learning and knowledge, containing writing, grammar, arithmetic, astronomy,
geography, chronology, and miscellaneous articles. To which is added the
Artist's Assistant; comprising the arts of drawings, perspective, etching,
engraving, mezzotinto scraping, painting, dyeing, colouring of maps,
etc.  A brief account of Naval and Military affairs. Also, various useful
medicinal receipts". OCLC lists several editions, none of which are common-
1807 (2); 1808 (1); 1810 (4); 1815 (1), 1837 (3). This edition, which seems
from internal evidence* to be ca 1817, is not found at all. (*Several
plates are dated 1817, and George III, who died in 1820, is still listed as
being alive.) Hardcover. 5.25"x8.5", 593 + (3) pages; folding map, engraved
decorative title page plus 6 engraved plates illustrating the various arts
and trades, and a plate of geometric forms. Bound in full period mottled,
polished calf with gilt spine bands and medallions; marbled endpapers; some
cover wear, hinges beginning to separate; some internal browning and
spotting, but overall a nice copy in a handsome period naive binding.
[02819]  $450.00 // THIS WEEK $225.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02819.jpg>

(Brown, Albert G.) SKETCH OF THE OFFICIAL LIFE OF JOHN A. ANDREW, AS
GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETTS...  New York; Hurd and Houghton: 1868. Based on
an article in the "North American Review in January, 1868, with additional
material. Andrew was an important Civil War governor- he raised the 54th
Massachusetts, and had much influence over the prosecution of the war (as
much as a governor could have). Much interesting Civil War content. The
portrait frontispiece is a pasted-in albumen photo. Hardcover. 4.75"x7",
xii + 211 pages, pasted-in albumen photo. Light wear and a bit of rubbing,
but a very nice copy in the original burgundy covers. [02182]  $125.00
//THIS WEEK $62.50

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02182.jpg>

Conwell, Col. Russell H.  HISTORY OF THE GREAT FIRE IN BOSTON. November 9
and 10, 1872.  Boston; B.B. Russell: 1873.  The Great Fire in Boston was
nothing like the Chicago Fire, but given Boston's relatively small size in
1872, it was quite big enough. This history includes eyewitness accounts,
before and after pictures, and a dramatic colored lithograph showing a
large part of the city being consumed by flames. Hardcover. 5"x7.5", 312
pages, portrait frontispiece and a map, 7 lithographed and line
illustrations, and a colored lithograph. Original green cloth with gilt
titles; covers with some rubbing and a little wear at the tips, spine
head., etc; endpapers lightly soiled, a little internal soil; slightly
shaken and a dry binding. [02905]  $50.00 // THIS WEEK $25.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02905.jpg>

Morse, Jedediah.  AMERICAN UNIVERSAL GEOGRAPHY: or a View of the Present
State of All the Empires, Kingdoms, States and Republics in the Known
World, and of the United States of America in Particular....  Boston;
Printed by J.T. Buckingham for Thomas & Andrews: 1805. 5th edition. First
published in 1796. This massive two-volume text included material on the
study of geography and the geography of the world, and much statistical and
geographical material on the United States. Hardcovers. 2 volumes. 5.5"x9",
864 + 664 pages, plus 6 folding maps; bound in period calf with leather
spine labels; covers quite worn and rubbed, hinges cracking a bit; internal
toning and some spots and soil; maps fairly clean. There is a note on the
title page about a separate atlas of maps which is not usually found with
these volumes, and is not present here. [02816]  $450.00 // THIS WEEK $225.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02816.jpg>

Virgil.  P. Virgilii Maronis.  OPERA. INTERPRETATIONE ET NOTIS ILLUSTRAVIT
CAROLUS RUASE, Soc. Jesu....  Novi Eboraci (New York); S. Campbell (& 13
others): 1811. An early American edition of Virgil's Works edited by Jesuit
Charles de La Rue (1643-1725). The first American edition of this edition
appears to have been 1804. This New York printing was taken from the new
Paris edition, and there was also a Philadelphia edition printed this same
year. La Rue was considered one of the greatest Jesuit orators of the 17th
century, wrote several tragedies and poems, and was famed for his brilliant
funeral orations. His edition of Virgil was first published in Paris in
1675 and became very popular, with numerous Continental and English
printings. Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", (i) + (x) + (x) + (ii) + 567 + 127 pages;
bound in period grained calf with gilt spine rules and a black label;
covers with some wear and rubbing, tips worn; lacks preliminary endpapers
and half title; moderate internal browning and some soil. [02899]  $100.00
// THIS WEEK $50.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02899.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.