[Rarebooks] FS: Teddy Roosevelt: "Make American democracy safe for the world"

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 4 15:48:38 EDT 2006

 From our upcoming catalogue of SIGNED PRESIDENTIAL material to be posted on our
website tomorrow: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also included will be important
signed and association copies of LBJ, Harry Truman and Franklin Roosevelt.

ROOSEVELT,  Theodore (Teddy). TYPED LETTER SIGNED  WITH  HOLOGRAPH
CORRECTIONS:  "Make American democracy safe for the world". New  York:
12  July 1917. A superb letter on METROPOLITAN magazine stationery  to
Professor  Abram  S. Isaacs of the Department of Semitics at New  York
University  dated  12  July 1917. Roosevelt tells Isaacs that  he  has
received  many letters in the last few days, "but both Mrs.  Roosevelt
and  I,  on  the  whole, value your letter more than  any  other."  He
compliments  Isaacs on his statement and concludes: "Instead of  being
hypocritical and bombastic about 'making the world safe for democracy,
'  let  us do what we can actually do, if we choose, and that is  make
American  democracy  safe  for the world." The United  States  entered
World  War  I  in  early 1917. Roosevelt was upset  that  he  was  not
allowed  to go to Europe to participate, but he was gratified to learn
that  his  efforts  in the spring of 1917 to secure a  commission  and
lead  troops  overseas  were  the immediate cause of  the  sending  of
American  troops.  Surely this letter is related to Roosevelt's  stand
on  the war. It would be almost a year to the day on 14 July 1918 that
Roosevelt's  youngest  son, Quentin, would be killed in an air  battle
in  France.  Some creasing and short tears at folds, still Very  Good.
                                                               $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent