[Rarebooks] FS: Harry Truman Letter as President with Holograph Addition

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 11 09:36:52 EDT 2006

 From our new catalogue of SIGNED PRESIDENTIAL material now posted on our
website: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also included are important signed and
association copies of Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, and Theodore Roosevelt.

TRUMAN,  Harry.  TYPED  LETTER SIGNED  (TLS)  as  President  with
HOLOGRAPH  addition  and  accompanying archive. Washington:  12  April
1951.  On  White  House  letterhead  to Dave  Bell.  In  full:  "I  am
enclosing  letter  received  from Charles Wilson which I  thought  you
would  be  interested  in  reading."  SIGNED  as  President  with  his
initials.  Below  his  signature in Truman's hand  is  the  following:
"Dave:-  You  may  have the letter if you want it."  Wilson's  letter,
along  with  a  photographic copy of it, is also included  as  is  the
original  White  House  envelope  addressed in type  to  Bell  and  an
official  White  House copy on onionskin paper of Truman's  letter  to
Wilson,  signed  in type by the President, thanking him for  his  kind
words  about Bell: "Dave swelled up like a pizened pup when I gave him
your  message." Bell served as an economic advisor and speechwriter to
the  President from 1941-52, later becoming head of the U.S. Bureau of
the  Budget  and  the  Agency   for  International  Development  under
President  John  F.  Kennedy. Wilson was writing in  his  capacity  as
Director  of  the  Office of Defense Mobilization. A fine  and  scarce
archive  from the Truman White House. Holograph material by Truman  as
President  is scarce. Perhaps the most notable example is the two-page
letter,  also  signed  only  with his initials, he wrote  to  a  music
critic  expressing his anger over the review of his daughter's recital
which  sold  at  auction  in  2002 for  nearly  two  hundred  thousand
dollars.  Here  is a considerably shorter but still fine example  at a
significantly  less  expensive  price.   Light  crease  from  folding;
paperclip stain at top. About Fine                            $3500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent