[Rarebooks] FA: 1913 Harvard 'Alice in Wonderland' Spoof

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Apr 11 10:18:48 EDT 2006

We have a cool spoof on "Alice in Wonderland" set at Harvard ending today
on Ebay.
The auction has no reserve, because reserves make me sneeze.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

Alice goes down a rabbit hole and comes out in Harvard Square...

"ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN CAMBRIDGE" By R.C. Evarts. Illustrated by E.L.
Barron. Published by the Harvard Lampoon in 1913.

Genial hijinks from the staff of the Harvard Lampoon using the popular
theme of Lewis Carroll's (aka Charles Dodgson's) Alice in Wonderland, and
illustrated with amusing Tenniel-like pen and ink drawings.

One might suppose that such 1913 undergraduate buffoonery would be
unintelligible to people unfamiliar with Harvard or Cambridge of that era,
but, although there is certainly a certain amount of humor pertaining to
Harvard of the day, there is also quite a bit which is applicable to
Harvard, and also college and scholarly life, in general -the chapter on
the Student Council Meeting, for instance, will be readily recognizable to
almost everyone... The authors cleverly, if not subtly, adapt several
classic Carrol poems as well. Great fun.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

-  --  --  --  --  -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.