[Rarebooks] [topic] The Extreme and Terrible Power of Auctions

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Apr 20 08:16:54 EDT 2006

Well well well...

a few weeks ago we sold a small pamphlet on Ebay- the program to the 1983
St. Botolph Club Award Dinner, which was honoring poet Richard Wilbur.

Yesterday Richard Wilbur won the Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize, worth $100,000...

That's not bad money for poetry. It's almost as much as you can make
selling books on the internet (or so I am told).

We congratulate Mr. Wilbur, whose talent and continuous hard work over the
past four decades obviously had at least a little to do with this latest
honor, but we'd be remiss not to point out our pathfinding, nay,
**Groundbreaking** work on his behalf by auctioning that 1983 program on
Ebay for $4.25 two weeks ago.

Ah, the Awesome and Terrible Power of Auctions!

I am awed and humbled.

-Forrest
Trendsetter & (idiot)Savant

our current soon-to-be-Earth-Shaking auctions-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - -- - - -- - - -- - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for March
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.