[Rarebooks] FS: John Ashbery's RIVERS AND MOUNTAINS Inscribed to artist Niki de Saint Phalle (rescued from a cow barn in Switzerland)

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Aug 29 10:17:24 EDT 2006

 From our new internet-only End of Summer Catalogue containing 140 items in a
variety of fields including scarce Americana and Law, unusual Baseball and other
Sporting items, and uncommon Modern First Editions. View it here:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

ASHBERY,  John. RIVERS AND MOUNTAINS Inscribed to artist  Niki  de
Saint  Phalle.  New  York:  Holt  Rinehart  &  Winston  (1966).  First
Edition.  INSCRIBED  and SIGNED by the author on the  front  endpaper:
"to  Niki/with  love/John/11-25-67." Niki De Saint Phalle was born  in
1930  in France and raised in New York. She began painting in 1948 and
four  years  later  moved to Europe. She was part of  the  influential
"New  Realists" group in the early 1960s. Today she is best known  for
her  oversized,  voluptuous female figures. She was a lover of  artist
Jean  Tinguely  whom  she described as "my love, my work  partner  and
also  my rival." This book is from the estate of Micheline Gygax, with
whom  Tinguely  had a son and with whom he lived in Switzerland  until
his  death.  The book was found with a few other books in a  cow  barn
near  Neyruz  in  Switzerland and shows some effects of  its  storage.
Three  leaves have some heavy staining toward the bottom with a  small
stain  to  the  fore-edge of the bulked text; otherwise, the  book  is
quite  nice.  The white dustwrapper is a bit soiled with a few  closed
tears  along  the  edges.  Still  a Good copy  in  a  near  Very  Good
dustwrapper.                                                   $350.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent