[Rarebooks] FS: The Doctrine of Mortality, 1726 folio with over 100 fine engraved plates

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Dec 4 09:38:37 EST 2006

 From our latest Catalogue now posted on our website:
http://www.erols.com/agvent.  It contains 34 select items in a variety
of fields.  Highlights include Catlin's NORTH AMERICAN INDIANS (1876)
with color prints, a first edition of Goethe's FAUSTUS, the signed
limited first edition of THE LITTLE PRINCE, several fine illustrated and
early printed books, and books signed by Buffalo Bill, T. S. Eliot,
Robert Kennedy, Theodore Roosevelt, and others.

[GOMBERVILLE  (Marin le Roy, Sieur de)] (AUBIN,  Penelope).  [THE
DOCTRINE  OF  MORTALITY,  OR  A  VIEW OF  HUMAN  LIFE].  MORAL  VIRTUE
DELINEATED.  [London]:  [J.  Darby, A. Betteswort &c]  [1726].  Second
Edition.  Tall  Folio  (8-3/4" x 14-1/2") bound in  full  calf  neatly
rebacked.  Two parts in one volume, lacking the printed title page, as
seems  often to be the case. Text in French and English. Translated by
Thomas  Manington Gibbs. Illustrated with two engraved title  pages, a
frontispiece,  a  portrait, and 103 engraved plates, all  nearly  full
page,  along  with engraved head- and tail-pieces.  Neat  contemporary
ink  inscription  to  first  title, very small worm  tracks  to  upper
corner  of  about half of the pages. Lovely plates, very  clean.  Near
Fine                                                          $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent