[Rarebooks] FS: WCW THE WEDGE, Cummington Press: no ideas but in things

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Dec 6 16:59:36 EST 2006

WILLIAMS, William Carlos. THE WEDGE. [Cummington, MA]:  Cummington
Press  1944.  First  Edition. Bound in patterned orange  paper  boards
with  a  cover  design  printed in black from a  drawing  by  Wightman
Williams,  the  same  design  repeated in color  on  the  title  page.
Wallace  A23:  One of only 380 copies set by hand. Contains the  first
book  publication  of a few of Williams's famous poems including  "The
Dance  (In  Breughel's great picture)" and "A Sort of Song": "Let  the
snake wait under/his weed/and the writing/be of words, slow and quick,
sharp/to  strike,  quiet  to wait,/sleepless.//--through  metaphor  to
reconcile/the  people  and  the   stones./Compose.  (No  ideas/but  in
things)  Invent!/Saxifrage  is  my   flower  that  splits/the  rocks."
Williams  later  said  about this title in I WANTED TO  WRITE  A  POEM
(1958,  p.  70):  "I  have  always   been  proud  of  this  book.  The
Introduction,  written in the most forthright prose, is an explanation
of  my  poetic creed at that time--for all time as far as that  goes."
Significantly  better  than  average  copy  of  this  title,  with  no
restoration  whatsoever, the best copy we have handled in relation  to
condition.  (We still think the rather worn copy inscribed by the poet
to  his  son that we sold some years ago is the most interesting  copy
we've  handled.) Mild wear to spine tips and mild sunning to  spine. A
Near Fine copy of this uncommon and fragile title.            $1000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent