[Rarebooks] Faulkner to his lover (1) + Steinbeck of his lovers [etc] (2)

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Wed Dec 20 13:17:44 EST 2006

                                                                 (1)

L41      1960 (September)

Snapshot by Cofield of William Faulkner in
informal shirt, with tobacco pouch in his shirt
pocket, holding his pipe.  5" x 3 1/4".  Sllight edge wear.

Taken for Meta Rebner [Meta Carpenter Wilde]. She
remembers that "in one of my letters to Faulkner
in the last years of his life I asked if he had a
recent photograph that he could send me. He
replied that he had no picture of himself but
would have one made. A month or so later, this
white-haired, dark browed likeness arrived." - A
LOVING GENTLEMAN; recto of inserted leaf
immediately preceding p. 97, where this picture is reproduced.

The verso of this photograph is inscribed by
Faulkner, "I had this one taken especially for
you, first in I dont remember how many
years.  Will be in Va for hunting, about Nov. 1
917 Rugby Rd. Charlottesville.  Bill."

With Faulkner's envelope, addressed by him to
Meta Rebner in Los Angeles [he uses an already
used envelope]; he has cancelled the old return
address and the previous addressee with red
crayon, and added "AIR MAIL".   The envelope is
docketed by Rebner, and accompanied by another
note: "MOST RECENT PHOTOGRAPH 1960 / Hand-written
note on back / May be viewed after Dr [Carvel]
Collins Faulkner biography has been published / Meta Rebner 5/10/64."

Inscribed photographs of Faulkner are of the
greatest rarity.  This one is inscribed to the love of his life.

Footnote:  I catalogued this photograph as L41,
p. 546, Serendipity Books Catalogue 48 = the Carl
Petersen collection (1991).  I sold it to a local
customer of modest means, along with many other
books and items of various sorts, over many, many
years.  Recently,  Allen cut himself accidentally
in his kitchen, and - living alone - he bled to
death.  I was advisor to the heirs, who chose to
send almost the entire library to auction, but
who honored my single request to allow me to buy
back this photograph, in order to settle unpaid
accounts and for cash considerations, and because of wondrousness.

$12,500.00

                                                                 (2)

[ca 1942]

Autograph letter signed, ink, 1p,  8 ½" x 11,
ruled yellow foolscap from a pad. To his literary
agent Mavis McIntosh, of McIntosh & Otis,
candid.  The draft is undated, but must have been
written ca 1942, since Steinbeck refers to the
fact that Carol (his first wife) has not replied
to his offer of a divorce
settlement.  Steinbeck's personal distress during
this difficult period is apparent:

                                                     "Of
Carol? I have a great deal of love for her. Of
Gwen? I have a great deal of love for her.  Of
myself? I haven't very much. I wish I had more.
Lots of things to get rid of first though and I
think I am getting rid of some of them
..Of
course where the trouble is going to come is that
neither Carol nor Gwen will be able to understand
that I can love more than one woman.  I'm pretty
darned faithfull sexually though and would only
stop if some pressure or unhappiness
in the status quo whatever that is."

                                                                 Some
215 words, unsigned.  Crumpled once. Clearly a
draft, unsent. Numerous letters to Mavis McIntosh
are included in STEINBECK: A LIFE IN LETTERS, but
none resembles this draft, which may never have been rewritten.

$5000.00

/pbh

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702