[Rarebooks] Steinbeck on the road (1) , makes friends (2)

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Tue Dec 26 15:16:22 EST 2006

  John Steinbeck

(1)

[A39a-advance]           TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY IN
SEARCH OF AMERICA.  NY: Viking [1962]   4to, pink
card wrappers, black plastic spiral binding;
printed white cover blurb label beneath which is
a partially printed, carbon typed notice that
these are unrevised proofs, confidential, with
date of publication, May 7, and price:
$4.95.  Another publisher's label was on the rear
cover, removed.  Paginated by hand (in
facsimile).  Tipped to page 155 is a 31-line
revision of text, purple ink from mimeo.  The
book was not published until July.  Goldstone did
not have a copy; Valentine did.  Morrow does not
mention pasted in revisions.   $7500.00

(2)

A39a    TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY IN SEARCH OF
AMERICA.  NY: Viking (1962)  Decorated white
cloth, map endpapers.  Fine in price-clipped dust jacket.

Presentation copy, inscribed on the half-title
"For Sir John Gielgud who involuntarily popped
into this book and enriched it / John Steinbeck. "

At the top of this leaf, perhaps in Gielgud's
hand, a reference to pages 130-136, where indeed
Gielgud pops in: "
a vintage sedan pulling a
short coupled trailer like a box turtle lumbered
down from the road and took a position on the
water about fifty yards away.  I felt annoyance
at this invasion of my privacy, but Charley was
delighted."  Of course!  It was Sir John, "a man
not young, not old, but with a jaunty springy
step".  Sir John lingers and delights, for seven
pages.   First edition, first printing.   $12,500.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702