[Rarebooks] [b] FS: Philadelphia's Laurel Hill Cemetery in 1852

David Klappholz d.klappholz at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 29 16:14:58 EST 2006

At 03:43 PM 12/29/2006, Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA wrote:
>...Laurel Hill was founded in 1836, the second "rural" cemetery in America.

If my memory is correct: What is now "Greenwich Village" was outside
of NYC -- not very far out, but then Laurel Hill isn't far away from
Center City, and is, in fact, within Phila., though it may not have
been in 1836. In any event, what is now Washington Square Park was
used, in 1812, as a burial place for fallen soldiers. I wonder if
this is the one considered to be "first." (It was later, of course,
dug up, or maybe paved over, when the Park was estabished.

Dave