[Rarebooks] fs: 1816 Trade Catalogue of Tassie Cameos

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jan 3 10:59:47 EST 2006

"DESCRIPTIVE Catalogue of Devices and Mottos English, French, and Italian,
 From Engraved Seals, formed in composition paste, and sold by William
Tassie, Leicester-Square"

London; William Bulmer and Co.: 1816.

William Tassie was the nephew of James Tassie, whom Eliza Meteyard called
"one of the most remarkable artistic characters of the eighteenth century"
(Life & Works of Wedgwood). The elder Tassie was a Scottish stonemason
turned artist/entrepreneur who found fame and fortune amidst the Classical
Revival by creating an excellent series of casts of antique gems, cameos
and intaglios in colored paste, enamel and sulfur. James Tassie developed
his techniques using colored potash-lead glass in plaster-of-Paris moulds
in the 1760s and 70s. He modeled various lines including one of portrait
busts, did some on-off work for Wedgwood, and eventually created copies of
more than 15,000 antique classical carved gems and cameos using originals
borrowed from the great private collections.

James Tassie and Wedgwood became business rivals and eventually started
sniping at each other's productions. Wedgwood praised Tassie's skill while
also noting that his own seals and cameos were better, to which Tassie
countered that his were better because his glass paste and sulfur
productions were not subject to the distorting effects of shrinkage which
affected Wedgwood's works.

The Adam-era marketplace would prove big enough for both men, and for many
years well-to-do collectors filled cabinets with paste and pottery cameos
and intaglios, and indeed Tassie's nephew William would carry on the work
into the 1840s. This small trade catalog lists 421 mottoes and saying to be
found on Tassie cameos, along with a very brief description of the design.
The Tassies issued several catalogs; an updated and expanded version of
this one was issued in 1820.

Hardcover. 4"x7", [3] 43 pages; bound in old pasteboard covers with a
printed title and decorative design, parchment spine, newer endpapers;
bookplate removed; penned ownership signature of "RD Shepard - London 27
Sept. 1818" on the title page.  [06799]  $700.00

  Illustrations->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-06799.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.