[Rarebooks] fs: 1693 -Labyrinth at Versailles

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jan 4 10:39:44 EST 2006

Perrault, Charles, et al. LABYRINTE DE VERSAILLES.

Paris; L'Imprimerie Royale: 1693.

A charming illustrated guidebook to the legendary Labyrinth at Versailles,
built in 1664 by order of the Sun King, Louis XIV, for his son, the
dauphin. The hedge-lined paths of this intricate maze contained a series of
decorative fountains, each one representing a fable by Aesop, thus giving
the young prince (and doubtless also many of the Sun King's courtiers) a
moral lesson while entertaining and enthralling.

This guide to the Labyrinth and the fountains features full-page engravings
of each fountain by Sebastien Le Clerc, with prose summaries of the fables
and descriptive text by Charles Perrault, and metrical versions of the
fables by Isaac de Benserade. The book also includes a short introduction
and an overall plan of the Labyrinth, just in case... Present day visitors
will have no such problems, as the Labyrinth was destroyed in 1774 to make
way for classical gardens. Scarce; OCLC locates 7 copies.

Hardcover. 8"x6.5", frontispiece, title page, [iii] [i] 80 pages, 39
numbered engraved plates, plus plates illustrating the entrance and the
overall plan of the Labyrinth. Bound in new marbled boards with a leather
spine with elaborate giltwork; new endpapers; moderate internal soil, some
wear, a few marks, but overall a good copy. [07298] $1,500.00

Picture->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images07/th-07298.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.