[Rarebooks] fs: 1733 on the Aurora Borealis

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Jan 23 10:55:47 EST 2006

Mairan, Jean Jacques d'Ortous de.  TRAITE PHYSIQUE ET HISTORIQUE DE
l'AURORE BORE'ALE.

Paris l'Imprimerie Royale: 1733.

The first edition of a classic and beautiful work on the Aurora
Borealis.Mairan (1678-1771) believed the phenomena to be attributable to
"zodiacal light" and an extension of the Sun's atmosphere into our own. The
plates, which were engraved by Philippe Simonneau, illustrate declinations
as well as a number of views of the lights, with views of the lights at
Giessen on the 17th of February, 1721, and Brevillepont on the 26th of
September, 1726, the 19th of October, 1726 and the 6th of September, 1731.
The problem of illustrating light with the engraver's tool is a daunting
one, but Simonneau has created a series of evocative, vivid impressions.

Mairan was an interesting man, a member of the Academie Royale des
Sciences, and a fellow of the Royal Society in London, with a wide circle
of correspondence. He wrote a popular treatise on the formation of ice, and
became interested in ancient China and Egypt, theorizing that the ancient
Egyptians had established a colony in China. This book, the first major
study of the Aurora, was reissued in 1754 with two additional plates.

Hardcover. 8"x10", [8] 281, [i] pages, 15 engraved folding plates bound in
full period polished calf with gilt spine decorations, marbled endpapers.
With a handsome engraved armorial bookplate (unidentified) and a small,
modern label. Some separation along the front hinge, but the cords are
tight. [2628] $1,500.00

Pictures->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-02628.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for December-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.