[Rarebooks] FS: 1865 Washingtoniana -1/ 291 sets

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jan 26 08:02:38 EST 2006

 From our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

Hough, Franklin B. WASHINGTONIANA: or, Memorials of the Death of George
Washington, Giving an Account of the Funeral Honors Paid to His Memory,
with a list of tracts and volumes printed upon the occasion, and a
catalogue of medals commemorating the event.

Roxbury, Mass.; W. Elliot Woodward: 1865.
Limited to 291 sets.

A reprinting of a large number of period texts of funeral orations and
other commemorations of Washington's life which were published at the time
of his death. Hough explains in his Preface that the impetus for gathering
this material originated during the Civil War (in which he served as a
surgeon with the 97th Regiment, New York Volunteers).

"It was during the darkest period of this melancholy epoch" he writes, that
he conceived the idea of "turning back the pages of our national history to
a time when our people were united in heart and interest as one... There
appeared no incident in our annals more deeply expressive of unanimity,
more free from partisan feeling, or more eloquent with sentiments of
patriotism, than the funeral honors paid upon the death of General
Washington, as found scattered in the official records and transient press
of their day. A plan was formed for gathering these precious memorials, and
of embodying them in a form worthy of the subject. The volumes here offered
are the result of this effort. They exhibit the spectacle of a nation in
mourning, to which the world's history presents no former parallel".

Franklin B. Hough was a multi-talented man. In addition to being a surgeon,
he is also considered to be the "Father of American Forestry" for important
and far-sighted work he did in recognizing the importance of replanting and
managing woodlands, work which resulted in the establishment of the
Division of Forestry in the Department of Agriculture. He wrote a catalog
of the native plants in Lewis County, New York and wrote four or five other
New York county histories as well. He is said to have kept two or three
different manuscripts, on different subjects, going in different rooms of
his house simultaneously. He also discovered the mineral "houghite". There
was perhaps no man in his time better suited to put together such a
collection of memorials to George Washington.

Hardcover. 2 vols. 7.5"x11", 272 + 304 pages; 2 steel-engraved portraits,
folding plan of Mount Vernon. Bound in ca.1900 half-calf with raised bands,
leather spine labels in red and black and marbled boards. Covers with some
scuffing and wear, half-title toned, but overall a nice set. [08573] $1250.00

The covers->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images08/th-08573.jpg>

There are over 100 other newly catalogued books on ceramics, glass, silver,
art, and other related subjects on our "Just Catalogued" pages->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for January
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.