[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed Rutherford B. Hayes

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Jan 27 11:35:52 EST 2006

One of a number of fine signed Presidential items that will be part of our
latest catalogue to be posted on our website in a few days:
http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also included will be important association copies
of FDR and Teddy Roosevelt books.

  HAYES, Rutherford B. ANNUAL MESSAGE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
STATES,  TO  THE  TWO  HOUSES  OF  CONGRESS  ...  OF  THE  FORTY-SIXTH
CONGRESS.  Washington: Government Printing Office 1880. First Edition.
Printed  green-gray  wraps; 34 pages. SIGNED on the top margin of  the
front  cover  "With Compliments/R. B. Hayes" by the  President.  Hayes
covers  much  ground  in this address beginning  with  the  statement:
"Continued  opposition to the full and free enjoyment of the rights of
citizenship,   conferred  upon  the  colored   people  by  the  recent
amendments  to the Constitution, still prevails in several of the late
slaveholding  States....  It is the desire of the good people  of  the
whole  country  that sectionalism as a factor in our  politics  should
disappear."  Hayes  also  proposes  reforming  the  civil  service  to
eliminate  corruption and expresses his wish to eradicate the evils of
polygamy  in  Utah. He discusses foreign relations at some length  and
concludes  with  recommendations specific to Washington including  its
water  supply,  railroad depots, and the completion of the  Washington
Monument.  Hayes  is quite uncommon in signed books and pamphlets  and
when  found are usually examples from his library rather than his  own
work.  There  is  an interesting ink correction within the  text  with
Commander-in  Chief crossed out and Commander and Chief written  above
it  in an unknown hand, possibly Hayes's. The President's  inscription
is  a bit light, especially his last name, but very clear. There  is a
faint  vertical crease down the center of the pamphlet. Near Fine  and
quite scarce.                                                 $3500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent