[Rarebooks] For Sale: Rare Unitas Fratrum publication, 1768

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Mon Jan 30 23:32:55 EST 2006

We are pleased to offer:

[SPANGENBERG, AUGUSTUS GOTTLIEB,]  ("IN THE NAME OF THE DIRECTORS OF
THE MISSIONS OF THE BRETHREN'S CHURCH AMONG THE HEATHEN.")
   A CANDID DECLARATION OF THE CHURCH KNOWN BY THE NAME OF THE UNITAS
FRATRUM, RELATIVE TO THEIR LABOUR AMONG THE HEATHEN.   [London,
1768.]  Quarto, sewn, as issued, approx. 11 X 7 inches, 8
pages.  Moderate age wear and soiling, tiny hole, but a very good,
complete copy of this rare defence of their "ancient
church-constitution and privileges" & their missionary work, against
the "libels and virulent pamphlets" of Lutherans and others.  "We are
at present actually engaged . . . among the Indians in
North-America  as also among the Negroes in Jamaica, Antigua and
Barbados; and . . . amongst the Esquimaux in Terralabrador; and . . .
our mission in Greenland."   OCLC & RLG report only the N.Y.P.L.
copy.  The entry in Sabin is for a later edn.  Rare and important.  $2000.00

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA), 1525 Shenkel Road, Pottstown, Pa, USA,
19465-7221.Telephone: 610 323 5289. email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
We accept visa, mastercard, checks (in US funds drawn on a US bank),
cash (by registered mail) and money orders.
Postage is charged at approximate cost. Institutions may be billed.
10% trade discount