[Rarebooks] FA: 1931 US Fox Hunting, ltd. to 401 copies

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jun 1 08:33:15 EDT 2006

Just listed on Ebay-

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

“Try Back. A Huntsman’s Reminiscences” By A. Henry Higginson

Published by New York Huntington Press: 1931. Edition limited to 401
numbered, signed copies (signed in the Introduction)

A. Henry Higginson’s memoir of 37 years of foxhunting in the U.S. and
Europe. Son of Henry Lee Higginson, the founder and sole initial backer of
the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Alex Henry Higginson was instrumental in
establishing “foxhunting after the British method, with huntsman,
whippers-in, and
 the field in scarlet” as an organized sport in the U.S.
This volume could almost serve as a history of American foxhunting.

Higginson saw his first hunt at age eight when his father took him to a
meet of the Myopia Hounds at Gibney Farm and he vowed then and there that
he would become a Master of the Hunt. Briefly distracted by yacht racing,
Higginson didn’t get back to hunting until age seventeen when he started
breeding beagles. His frighteningly rich and very generous father bought
him a lovely farm in Lincoln, Massachusetts and young Alex was off and
running. Never one to do things halfway, he acquired a draft of hounds from
England to start the pack that later became the Middlesex Hounds and
established the Middlesex Hunt Club.

Higginson went on to hold the positions of Master and of Huntsman in the
Cattistock, an old English Hunt. He was instrumental in promoting and
regulating the sport in the U.S. and served as the President of the Masters
of Foxhounds Association of America for seventeen years.

“Try Back. A Huntsman’s Reminiscences” gives the details of Higginson’s
vast experience in the sport of foxhunting in both the U.S. and England.
 From hunts in Massachusetts and Virginia to hunting with the Duke and
Duchess of Beaufort and riding to the hounds at Badminton, Higginson writes
lovingly of the hounds, the horses and the famous Hunt Masters that he
encountered. He also gives his account of the famous grudge match between
his English bred Middlesex Hounds and Harry W. Smith’s American bred
Grafton Hounds.

Higginson writes that the period spanned by his own career "has been a
memorable one in the history of foxhunting, the growth of the sport in this
country during that time almost unbelievable, and I have a feeling that it
may be interesting to some of the younger hunting men to hear something of
that period and of the men who dominated it”. And so it is.

The volume is beautifully illustrated with many portraits of notable
Masters and photographs of Badminton, Cattistock and Middlesex.

CONDITION: Hardcover. 7.5"x11", 241 pages, illustrated with a color
frontispiece and 20 black & white plates. A very nice copy with some light
soil on the covers, but otherwise unworn, with tight hinges, no marks, or
other defects to spoil your hunt. A very nice copy of an engaging book.

No reserve.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.