[Rarebooks] FS: 1817 Napoleonic Fraud

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jun 6 07:36:07 EDT 2006

[Lullin de Chateauvieux, Frederick]  MANUSCRIPT TRANSMITTED FROM ST.
HELENA, by An Unknown Channel.  Translated from the French.

New York; Van Winkle and Wiley: 1817.

"This work, which is equally distinguished by its spirit and its ingenuity,
was given to the Publisher, with an assurance of its being brought from St.
Helena, though an air of mystery was affectedly thrown round the mode of
its conveyance.  Whether it be really written by Buonaparte, or by some
confidential friend, is a matter that must be left entirely to
conjecture.  It bears some resemblance to his style, more to his manner,
and is altogether just what the ostensible Author, or an able apologist
under his name, might be expected to say of his opinions, motives, and
actions."

In point of fact, Napoleon did not write this charming tome, and denounced
it in his will as a forgery.  At the time of its publication, however, the
book enjoyed great popularity, being issued in several countries, and was
the subject of much speculation as to its true origins.

Some thought it might be the first part of the "Memoirs" Napoleon was
thought to be writing.  Others sniffed the forger's pen, and embarked on a
guessing game as to who might be responsible.  M. Bertrand, a former army
officer and relative of a French nobleman, was mentioned, as was Madame de
Stael.  Madame de Stael in turn pointed the finger at her former lover, the
politician Benjamin Constant.

Before long, however, it was divulged that the real author was the Marquis
Lullin de Chateauvieux, a man heretofore not known for possessing any
literary ability.  Although the volume's critics immediately trumpeted
their vindication and redoubled their denouncements of the forgery as
ridiculous, many still argued that, although not actually from the pen of
the Emperor, the volume was in fact a good mirror of at least some of his
feelings.

Jomini, who admitted its inaccuracies, nonetheless actually incorporated
parts of it into his own biography of Napoleon.  It remains today as a
fascinating remnant of the controversies, intrigues and passions of the
period.

Hardcover.  4.5"x7", 204 pages, bound in 19th century quarter leather with
a gilt-decorated spine, marbled boards, and marbled endpapers.  Covers a
bit rubbed, leather slightly dry, one old engraved bookplate pasted over
another one on the front pastedown, tiny corner of the front free endpaper
chipped off; some light internal browning and a spot or two, light
scattered foxing. [28581]  $350

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-28581.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.