[Rarebooks] FS: 1836 Rarer British Birds

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jun 7 10:04:43 EDT 2006

Eyton, T.C.  A HISTORY OF THE RARER BRITISH BIRDS.

London; Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green and Longman: 1836.

The first object of the author was to "complete, as far as lay in his
power, the series of woodcuts of British birds begun by the late Thomas
Bewick of Newcastle...".

"Secondly, he presents his readers with a complete List of British Birds...
discarding from it all those species that appear to have been introduced
from foreign countries".

Eyton changed his mind, however, and did in the end include foreign
introductions, showing those birds which "although they are not indigenous,
are now found commonly in either a domesticated or half-wild state, (as the
Cravat Goose, Mute Swan) and have been turned out to become wild as the
Pheasant and Red-legged Partridge, or have escaped from confinement, as the
Trumpeter".

The woodcuts were done by "Mr. Mark, engraver on wood" and of acute
interest is the illustration on the title page which shows "a hybrid bird,
between the cock-pheasant and Grey Hen, in the author's possession, killed
near Merrington, Shropshire".

The second half of the book is "A Catalogue of British Birds", titled
separately but issued with the main portion.  Here the author makes a stab
at straightening out avian nomenclature.

Hardcover.  101 + vi + 67 pages; woodcuts throughout; a fine copy indeed,
bound in the original cloth with gilt spine title; clean as a whistle,
bright and crisp.  You will never see a better copy of this book in the
original binding. [30197]  $125.00

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.