[Rarebooks] FA: 1837 American Sugar Beet Treatise

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jun 8 06:42:34 EDT 2006

Newly listed on Ebay-

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

  "Notice on the Beet Sugar: Containing 1st. A Description of the Culture
and preservation of the plant. 2d. An explanation of the process of
extracting its sugar. Preceded by a few remarks on the origin and present
state of the Indigenous Sugar Manufactories of France. Translated from the
works of Dubrunfaut, De Domballe, and others".

by Edward Church. Published in Northampton by J.H. Butler: 1837.

An interesting document of the attempt to begin the first beet-sugar
factory in America. Both Frederick William III and Napoleon had attempted
to introduce the manufacture of beet sugar to France, which is where Church
had first attempted to grow sugar beets before being thwarted by the
Revolution of 1830. He moved to Northampton, Massachusetts and enlisted the
aid of friends, investors and the French vice-consul in Boston in another
sugar beet venture. They distributed beet seed to farmers and apparently
completed a factory for refining the sugar, the first in America, but the
project had failed by 1841.

In this treatise Church describes some of his own labors and then gives a
complete description of how the beets are to be grown, cared for, harvested
and refined into sugar. He also makes a plea for a government subsidy,
archly noting that an American beet sugar industry would be at least as
valuable as an American silkworm industry, a project the government had
been supporting financially. He was a man ahead of his time -the American
beet sugar industry would not "crystallize" as a profitable venture until
the 1870s.

No reserve.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.