[Rarebooks] FA: 1848 St. Augustine Florida history with suppressed pages

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Jun 9 07:36:52 EDT 2006

Newly listed on Ebay-

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

This copy has the suppressed pages which almost cost the author his life!

"SKETCHES OF ST. AUGUSTINE. WITH A VIEW OF ITS HISTORY AND ADVANTAGES AS A
RESORT FOR INVALIDS"

by R.K. Sewall. "Published for the author by George P. Putnam", in 1848.

A rather famous book on St. Augustine, Florida, its history, inhabitants,
accommodations, and sights. The book is famous not only as a very early
study of the city, and one of the first books to promote Florida as a
resort destination, but because it almost got its author killed.

It went like this- on page 39/40- of the book Sewall has a few unfavorable
things to say about St. Augustine's Minorcan population, who were descended
from settlers from that Mediterranean land who had been lured to Florida by
an unscrupulous farmer who basically impressed them all into servitude and
made them work his fields. Sewall's comments on the state of the Minorcans
in St. Augustine in 1848 may not seem all that insulting today, but he did
comment that their male population "lack enterprise" and "most of them are
without education", and they took it badly. An enraged mob is said to have
chased him through the town and forced him to cut the offending pages from
very copy of the book. The story seems to have a large element of truth, as
almost every copy of this book you will find today lacks that page (which
is present in this copy).

In addition to angering a substantial portion of the city's population,
Sewall's book discusses Florida history, from the time of its settlement,
at length, and then describes the vicinity of St. Augustine, including its
orange and pineapple groves, its' climate, hotels and guest houses, and
festivals, including Carnival and Sherivaree ("a most discordant concert of
voices, horns, tin pans, and other boisterous sounds...an excessively
annoying exhibition").

It may not sound like it, but Sewall does seem to have had a genuine
fondness for the city. The 6 lithographed plates illustrate a variety of
scenes, including the Bay, the Catholic Church, Fort Marion, the Military
Burial Ground, Magnolia House, and a pineapple plant.
No reserve.

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

Ebay user id: joslinhall

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.