[Rarebooks] FS: California Gold Rush

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Thu Jun 15 16:43:02 EDT 2006

RYAN, WILLIAM. REDMOND.  PERSONAL ADVENTURES IN UPPER AND LOWER
CALIFORNIA, IN 1848-9; WITH THE AUTHOR'S EXPERIENCE AT THE MINES.
London: William Shoberl, 1851, 1850. Illustrated by three halftone
lithographs and 20 wood engravings, all full-page and all by Ryan.
Mixed edition. 2 volumes. Early 3/4 polished calf with marbled
boards. Raised bands with florets in spine compartments. Leather
labels. 8vo. [[2] 347 [1]; [2] 413 [1] pgs] Near fine. Volume I was
published in 1851: Volume II was published in 1850. "An Englishman,
William Redmond Ryan (1791-1855) enlisted in an American regiment
bound for California and sailed round the Horn in 1847.  Personal
adventures in Upper and Lower California, (1850), vol. 2, continues
his story with a chronicle of daily life at the Stanislaus Mine; his
career as a trader; travels through Stockton, Monterey, and
Sacramento; life in San Francisco, 1849; the Constitutional
Convention; and return voyage via Panama, 1849". American Memory.
Wonderful descriptions of San Francisco, the gold mines and the
native people, although with the last, he could be very disdainful.
Minor rubbing at extremities. Very clean interior with no foxing. A
beautiful set. Howes R558; Graff 3626; Streeter Sale 2646; Sabin
74532.  $1500.00 {71927}

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

http://www.oldbooks.com

7 day return with notice, if not as described. 5 day hold. We accept
Paypal, money orders, cashier checks. We accept personal checks from
bookdealers and known customers.