[Rarebooks] FS: Limited GRAPES OF WRATH Signed by Thomas Hart Benton with 67 Original Lithographs

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Jun 16 12:56:29 EDT 2006

 From our new Catalogue containing 105 Limited Editions Club titles.  In
addition to what is listed among our new arrivals, we have about 300 other LECs
cataogued on our website as well as half that number yet to be catalogued:
http://www.erols.com/agvent (to see them all, type in Limited Editions Club
under the Any Word category on our search engine).

STEINBECK,  John. THE GRAPES OF WRATH. New York: Limited  Editions
Club  1940.  Two quarto (7-1/2" x 10-1/4") volumes bound in  decorated
grass  cloth boards with rawhide spines. Designed by George Macy  with
introductions  by  Joseph Henry Jackson and Thomas Craven.  The  First
Illustrated  Edition  of this Pulitzer Prize winner with  67  ORIGINAL
TWO-COLOR  LITHOGRAPHS  (black  and  yellow) made on  zinc  plates  by
Thomas  Hart  Benton and printed by George Miller. Copy #316  of  only
1146  printed  SIGNED  by the illustrator. One of the  most  desirable
books  of  the  press  because of the combination of  a  smaller  than
normal  printing,  a  popular author and Pulitzer  Prize-winning  book
first published only the year before, beautiful lithographs by Benton,
and  an  attractive  and  unusual binding.  Typical  mottling  of  the
rawhide  which is still very supple with the silver lettering  strong.
Both  volumes  are tight and unread. Near Fine, lacking the  slipcase.
                                                                $850.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent