[Rarebooks] FS: c.1880 Parisian Silver Trade Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jun 28 06:58:26 EDT 2006

Parisian Goldsmith's Catalogue of Ecclesiastical Silver and Other Work.

Printed in Paris, ca.1870-80.

A beautiful pattern book issued by a Parisian(?) goldsmithing firm,
illustrating a variety of religious holloware, accessories, jewelry and
accoutrements, including cruet sets with glass inserts, monstrances, bells,
crosses, caskets (both in traditional forms and in the forms of cathedrals
with glass sides), and jewelry, including crowns and flaming hearts. Many
of the pieces of all types are noted as having enamel decoration, and many
come with inlaid pearls or gems. All are tinted gold in the plates. Each
page illustrates the (unidentified) manufacturer's mark, a square with a
star above the initials ET. The only text given are the dimensions, item
numbers, and notes about enamel, etc. The pages appear to have been
assembled from two separate issues- one set of plates is just slightly
smaller than the other and they have different printer's marks. There is a
small inked note- "Mainz 1881" on the endpaper. A striking catalog.

Hardcover. 17.5"x12", 29 colored lithographed and 1 colored manuscript
plate, numbered 1-29 (1 bis plate). Bound in old, evidently original,
pebbled cloth, covers with light wear; endpapers toned, creased; plates
with some scattered light soil, but overall very nice. [08354] $1,500.00

Illustrations->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images08/th-08354.jpg>

JOSLIN HALL RARE BOOKS

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.