[Rarebooks] FS: JAZZ Signed by Louis Armstrong, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Cozy Cole, Jack Teagarden, etc.

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Mar 2 16:28:57 EST 2006

Our catalogue of fine signed Presidential items has been delayed as we are in
the process of acquiring several interesting pieces to add to it.  It will be
posted on our website in two weeks.  Later this week or early next week we will
be posting a short list including some exceptional items in the field of
African-American history and literature.  Please check
http://www.erols.com/agvent.  The following item is an example.

[ARMSTRONG, Louis; HINES, Earl "Fatha"; etc.] GOFFIN, Robert. JAZZ
FROM  CONGO  TO  SWING. London: Musicians Press 1946.  First  Edition.
First  English  Edition. Illustrated with a photographic  frontispiece
of  the  author who, in 1930, published the first full-length book  on
Jazz:  AUX FRONTIERES DU JAZZ. This copy is SIGNED by a number of Jazz
legends  starting with the INSCRIPTION on the front endpaper to  Erick
by  famed drummer Cozy Cole. Below his signature are the signatures of
Barney  Bigard,  clarinetist and composer of "Mood Indigo"  and  other
tunes,  and vocalist and trombonist Jack Teagarden. The rear  endpaper
is  SIGNED  by Earl "Fatha" Hines, often called the first modern  Jazz
pianist,  vocalist  Velma  Middleton,  Louis  Armstrong,  and  bassist
Arvell  Shaw.  Louis  Armstrong  SIGNS  a  second  time  on  the  rear
pastedown.  In pencil on the front endpaper, likely in the hand of the
owner,  is the notation: "Toronto/Massey Hall/May 19th 1949," likely a
date  played  by  Louis  Armstrong and The All-Stars  as  all  of  the
signers  played in this band around that time. Cloth with some rubbing
and  edgewear;  dustwrapper quite attractive. A remarkable  collection
of  important  Jazz  autographs. Good in a  price-clipped,  Very  Good
dustwrapper.                                                  $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent