[Rarebooks] FS: Trio of Botanical Books

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Sun Mar 5 09:40:26 EST 2006

Greene, Edward Lee. LANDMARKS OF BOTANICAL HISTORY. Stanford University
Press: 1983. A "monumental work", the "first detailed history in English of
western European botany and botanists from antiquity to the 18th century".
The first volume was originally published in 1909 by the Smithsonian; the
second volume is published here for the first time, and is based on
handwritten notes made by Greene before his death in 1915. This edition was
edited by Frank N. Egerton. 2 volumes. Hardcover. 6.5"x9.5", 504 + 1139
pages, b/w illustrations, djs; light wear, but a nice set. $100

Henrey, Blanche. BRITISH BOTANICAL AND HORTICULTURAL LITERATURE BEFORE
1800. Oxford University Press / Sandpiper Books: 1999. A reissue of the
1975 edition. "Comprising a history and bibliography of botanical and
horticultural books printed in England, Scotland and Ireland from the
earliest times to 1800". 3 volumes. Hardcover. 7.5"x11", 290 + 748 + 142
pages, several color and many b/w plates, djs; a nice set. $200

[Perkins] CATALOGUE OF THE WALTER FRANK PERKINS AGRICULTURAL LIBRARY.
Southampton; Southampton University Library: 1961. Edition limited to 500
copies. Perkins bibliography, 'British and Irish Writers on Agriculture'
was published in 1929 and went through 3 editions. This book differs in
that it is the library of his own personal library, and includes some
subjects not covered in his bibliography, including forestry, horticulture,
estate management, herd books, veterinary science and agricultural law.
Hardcover. 6.5"x10", 291 pages, portrait; light soil, corner bump. $100

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.