[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Louis Armstrong Letter

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Mar 13 15:56:53 EST 2006

 From our short but interesting African-American list to be posted on our
website this week.

ARMSTRONG, Louis. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) of 3-1/2 pages. 20
Jan.  1970.  Fine  3-1/2  page letter written  entirely  in  the  jazz
legend's  hand with interesting personal and show business content  on
the  back  of four 8-1/2" x 11" photocopies of his  advertisement  for
"Lose  Weight  The  Satchmo Way." In part: "Enclosed is  a  tape  [not
present]  that was recorded from the television show that I had when I
was  the  Guest on the Dick Cavett Show, a real live show.  I  thought
that  you and the family would like to have it. I received all of your
letters  and  as  always I enjoyed reading them. So did my  dear  wife
Lucille....  I  also received the last shipment of lip salve that  you
sent   to  me.  Also  the  big   cans,  which  Lucille  keep  in   the
Refrigerator.  But  Mr. Kauffmann, you forget to mail to me the  bill.
Please  my  Dear Friend I am ready to send a check to you  which  will
cover  everything. Send to me the bill as soon as you can. And I  will
gladly  pay you. Because I am always relaxed when I have a lot of  lip
salve.  And  for  God sake, you must make it forever. I went  down  to
Philadelphia  Pennsylvania  to  do  a T.V. show on  the  Mike  Douglas
Show....  We got in touch with Mr. Gruner.... He was the agent for Mr.
Franz  Schuriz Lip Salve--Ansatz Creme. He's still around.... We  send
best  to you and your family. Also we wish you all lots of  Happiness.
Goodnight."  SIGNED  as  Satchmo  and Louis  Armstrong  with  a  large
signature.  Also  included  is  the   original  mailing  envelope,  in
Armstrong's  hand,  with  his  signature and  return  address  on  the
reverse. Light creases from mailing. Near Fine                $4000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent