[Rarebooks] fs: Better Books on Ceramics

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Mar 14 14:42:59 EST 2006

Our newest printed catalog -"Books on Ceramics" is being released this
week. If you would like a copy please let us know. We will be featuring
ceramics-related material on our blog this week as well- check out
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/> for today's blog about how Josiah
Wedgwood caused a great brouhaha between two Victorian ceramics scholars...

and now for today's books, from our new catalog-

Crisp, Frederick Arthur. PORCELAIN AND POTTERY BEARING THE ARMS OF THE
LIVERY COMPANIES OF THE CITY OF LONDON IN THE POSSESSION OF FREDERICK
ARTHUR CRISP.
Privately Printed: 1911. Edition limited to 150 numbered copies.
An enjoyable catalog of Company-arms bearing ceramics in the collection of
the noted antiquarian Frederick Arthur Crisp. There were 26 pieces in all,
bearing arms of the blacksmiths, brewers, butchers, carpenters,
clothworkers, coopers, cordwainers, cutlers, founders, fishmongers,
joiners, merchant tailors, needle makers, parish clerks, poulters,
saddlers, salters, bricklayers, upholders, watermen, and weavers companies.
The six illustrated pieces show the arms of the carpenters, clothworkers,
joiners, parish clerks, upholders, and weavers. Each piece and its crest
are described, and there is also a list of the mottoes. A good half the
pieces were Chinese export, the others a smattering of Leeds pottery, and
Lambeth and Bristol delftware. Crisp published several limited edition
books featuring his collections, and they are uniformly elegantly conceived
and executed. Hardcover. 10.5"x12", [i] 7, [iv] pages, printed one-side
only, plus 6 color plates. Blue cloth with parchment spine and tips and
leather label, as issued. Covers with moderate soil, a little internal
soil.  [05660]  $275.00

- - - - - - - - -

Dorveaux, Paul. LES POTS DE PHARMACIE LEURS INSCRIPTIONS PRESENTEES SOUS
FORME DE DICTIONNAIRE.
Paris; A Maloine, Editeur: 1908. Edition limited to 150 copies.
A dictionary of several thousand inscriptions found on antique drug jars
from throughout Europe, identifying what the contents were. The author was
Librarian at the School of Pharmacy at the University of Paris, and well
qualified to make such a study. He also includes introductory material
about the use of drugs and drug jars from the Middle Ages through the 18th
century. A scarce study. Softcover. 5.75"x9", 89 pages plus 14 b/w plates.
Some cover soil, pages browned, a little wear; a nice copy of a scarce,
fragile book.  [08310] $375.00

- - - - - - - - -

Franks, Augustus W. JAPANESE POTTERY, BEING A NATIVE REPORT WITH AN
INTRODUCTION AND CATALOGUE BY AUGUSTUS W. FRANKS.
London; Chapman and Hall, Ltd.: 1880.
The South Kensington Museum (now the V&A) helped arranged an exhibit of
antique Japanese pottery at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in
1876, and after the Exhibition the pottery was shipped to England for the
Museum's collection. A report on Japanese ceramics was prepared by M.
Shioda and translated by T. Asami, and that text, as well as illustrations
of the exhibited pottery, forms the basis of the present book. The text was
corrected by B. Nanjio and K. Kasawara, and new, expanded descriptions of
the items written for this book. An important early report on Japanese
pottery. Hardcover. 5.5"x8", xvi + 112 pages, b/w illustrations; light
wear  [04689] $50.00

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.