[Rarebooks] fs: Much More Better Books on Ceramics

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Mar 16 08:18:56 EST 2006

we know you've been waiting, and now it's finally here...

->   It's ~ CERAMICS WEEK ~ at JOSLIN HALL <-

     (please keep dogs leashed at all times;
umbrellas and bags must be checked at the door)

-Our newest printed catalog -"Books on Ceramics" is now available.
If you would like a copy please let us know.

-We will be featuring ceramics-related material on our blog this week-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>
today's blog is about the 1870s artist who collected pottery back when
pottery wasn't cool...

and now for today's books, from our new catalog-

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Keramic Studio. A Monthly Magazine for the China Painter and Potter.
Syracuse; Keramic Studio Publishing Co. The 'Keramic Studio' was founded
and edited by Adelaide Alsop Robineau, one of the premier ceramicists in
America, and creator of the famed "Scarab Vase". Robineau was a tireless
promoter of the studio pottery and china painting movements, and her
magazine is a valuable source of information on potters, techniques and
potting-related news and designs of the period. The issues featured
numerous b/w illustrations as well as beautiful color plates. Each of these
volumes is hardcover. 11"x13.5", and contains a year's worth of issues.
They are all Ex-library, bound into library buckram without the monthly
covers. General wear and soil to the covers, some internal soil and wear.

Volume 19. 1917-18. Monthly issues for May, 1917-April, 1918. 198 pages, 10
(of 12) color plates; lacks pages 73/4(?), and color plates for May and
July, 1917. [06896]     $250.00

Volume 20. 1918-19. Monthly issues for May, 1918-April, 1919. 196 pages, 10
(of 11) color plates; lacks pages 75/6, and color plate for
June,1918.  [06897]              $250.00

Volume 21. 1919-20. Monthly issues for May, 1919-April, 1920. 218 [2]
pages, 11 color plates. [06898] 250.00

Volume 22. 1920-21. Contains the monthly issues for May, 1920-April,
1921.  22 pages, 12 color plates. [06899] $250.00

Volume 23. 1921-22. Contains the monthly issues for May, 1921-April,
1922.  234 pages, 10 (of 11) color plates. Lacks the color plate for
January, 1922. [06900]   $250.00

Volume 23 sic- (4). 1922-23. Contains the monthly issues for May,
1922-April, 1923. 224 pages, 11 color plates. [06901]         $250.00

Volume 25. 1923-24. Contains the monthly issues for May, 1923-April, 1924.
236 pages, 22 color plates. [06902] $250.00

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE EARLIEST BOOK ON TILES-

Henniker, John. TWO LETTERS ON THE ORIGIN, ANTIQUITY, AND HISTORY OF NORMAN
TILES, STAINED WITH ARMORIAL BEARINGS. London; printed by John
Bell...Bookseller to His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales: 1794
[mistakenly noted as 1796 by Solon].

The author states in his first letter- "The armorial bearings which I have
the honor of transmitting to your Lordship, and to the Society of
Antiquaries, were sent to me, some time ago, from Caen, by my brother,
Captain Henniker, then resident at the place, and studious of its
antiquities. I have hitherto delayed to bring them forward, waiting for
some information on the subject, from the Professor of Rhetoric in the
University there; to whom I have frequently applied for assistance, both by
letter, and in person. Having now given up all hope of any satisfactory
information from him, I have determined to produce them with such gleanings
of history as I myself have been able to collect..."

He goes on to quote Dr. Ducarel's description of the pavements- "The floor
is paved with tiles...each near five inches square, baked almost to
vitrification. Eight rows of these tiles running from east to west are
charged with different coats of arms, generally said to be those of the
families who attended Duke William in his invasion of England. The
intervals between each of these rows are filled up with a kind of
tessellated pavement; the middle whereof represents a maze or labyrinth,
about ten feet in diameter, and so artfully contrived, that were we to
suppose a man following all the intricate meanders of its volutes, he could
not travel less than a mile before he got from one end to the other. The
remainder of this floor is inlaid with small squares of different colours,
placed alternately, and formed into draught or chess-boards, for the
amusement of the soldiery whilst on guard".

Solon further notes- "The armorial-bearing tiles described in these letters
belonged to a pavement, now partly destroyed, which adorned the state-rooms
of St. Stephen Abbey or 'Abbaye aux hommes' at Caen, built in 1077 by
William the Conqueror. Although local traditions and ancient chronicles
agree in considering these tiles as containing the scutcheons of the noble
families which accompanied William, Duke of Normandy, in his expedition,
the date of their making cannot correspond with that of the building of the
Abbey. One of these tiles bears the Royal Arms of France, adopted by St.
Louis, and it is well known that the armorial bearings were not in use
before the crusades; the pavement cannot be, therefore, anterior to the
thirteenth century. The scutcheons are introduced in the borders of a vast
composition, the centre of which is occupied by the tracery of an intricate
labyrinth. People, in single file, could engage, under the guidance of a
leader, at a starting point of the meander, and follow the puzzling course
of the maze for almost the length of a mile without having once to retrace
their steps before they reached the point of issue. The march was
accompanied with the singing of a well-rhythmed tune, and, in this way, a
large crowd could be kept on the move without confusion for a considerable
time".

The earliest work in English located by Solon dealing specifically with
tiles. Hardcover. 5.5"x8.5", 114 pages plus 3 engraved plates reproducing
twenty tile designs; bound in contemporaneous marbled boards with a
parchment spine; boards worn and scuffed, spine perishing and hinges gone
with the result that the first several signatures are either loose or
detached yet everything is present and ready for a trip to the restorer's
table; very minor internal toning and a few light pencil notes but overall
internally a very nice copy with wide margins.  [28444]  $875.00

- - - - - - - - -

1/100 COPIES-

Mundy, R.G. ENGLISH DELFT POTTERY. London; Herbert Jenkins Ltd.: 1928.
Edition de Luxe, limited to 100 signed and numbered copies. The first major
monograph on English delftware. The text touches on methods of potting and
decoration, the history of delftware production in England, and notes on
some of the potteries. Although early and in some ways a rudimentary work,
it retains a charm and dignity. The b/w illustrations are especially nice;
plainly lit and shot, but very clear and crisp. Hardcover. 9"x11", 123
pages, plus 48 b/w plates. Publisher's blue cloth and parchment spine with
gold titles; some cover soil, a little
wear; from the reference library of noted Boston silver firm Shreve, Crump
& Low, with their stamp & a small sticker spot on the spine.  [06437] $250.00

- - - - - - - - -

Tomorrow- *Most* More Better Books...

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.