[Rarebooks] FS: Renaissance Furniture Designs

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Mar 23 08:18:01 EST 2006

 From our newly-revised "JUST CATALOGUED" pages
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

A Scarce Victorian Collection of Renaissance Furniture Designs-

Baldus, Eduoard. OEUVRE DE JACQUES ANDROUET DIT DU CERCEAU. MEUBLES.

Paris; Edouard Baldus: c.1880. A very scarce collection of facsimiles of
design plates for furniture, metalwork, and mantels by the great 16th
century designer Jacques Androuet Du Cerceau. Du Cerceau was an important
designer of architecture, ornament, furniture, metalwork and other
decorative designs, and was an important and influential proponent of
Renaissance designs. A Huguenot who set up his business in Orleans, early
in his career he designed the triumphal arches there for the arrival of
Henri II. Religious warfare caused him to flee the city in 1562, but, along
with other prominent Huguenots, was given shelter by the Duchess of
Ferrara, daughter of Louis XII, at her chateaux in Montargis, where he
stayed until about 1575.

His later collections of designs were published in Paris, so Jervis
speculates that he spent the latter part of his career there, which seems
reasonable. His greatest works, 'Les Plus Excellents Bastiments de France',
published in 1576 and 1579, were both dedicated to Catherine de Medici. The
first section of this book consists of 51 plates of furniture, metalwork
and ornament; the second portion contains 20 plates of designs for
mantelpieces. Jervis ("Printed Furniture Design Before 1650") notes that
"while students of eighteenth and nineteenth century furniture have been
well served by reprints, there has been an almost total neglect of the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, the only exception, apart from
isolated illustrations, being Baldus's Du Cerceau edition of about 1880,
now itself a rarity".

Hardcover. 12.5"x17.5", decorative engraved title page, printed title page,
+ 51 + 20 engraved plates by Baldus. Bound in period mottled boards with a
cloth spine; covers with light wear and rubbing, plates clean and
wide-margined. [08817] $1,200.00

More books & catalogs on antiques & arts-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Just Catalogued" pages for February
<http://www.joslinhall.com/justcat.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.