[Rarebooks] fs: Textile City Historical Papers, 1873-1904

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon May 8 16:47:15 EDT 2006

Early History on an Important Textile Town-

"CONTRIBUTION OF THE OLD RESIDENTS HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION, LOWELL MASS.
Vol. I-VI."

Lowell; The Association: 1873-1904.

Founded along a riverbank as a textile mill city in 1822, Lowell was one of
the testing grounds for the 19th-century "paternalism" experiment with
factory workers. The lives of the mill girls were organised by the factory
owners to the 'nth degree, and every minute of their day was accounted for
-all in the name of bettering their lives. These papers cover all sorts of
tidbits of early Lowell history- Lowell personalities, buildings, events,
and so on, and remain a valuable resource for insight into the city as it
grew during the 19th century.

Hardcover. 6 vols. 6"x9.5", 413 + 461 + 443 + 415 + 392 + 490 pages, b/w
illustrations; Vol. I rebacked, with new endpapers; Vol.IV rebound in
sympathetic buckram; an ex-institutional set with several small stamps and
spine labels; o/w a neat, clean, tight, nice set. [06410] $350.00

Picture-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-06410.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.