[Rarebooks] FS: Louis Untermeyer's copy of T.S. Eliot's Complete Poems with letter from Eliot

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu May 11 09:16:33 EDT 2006

 From our recent Spring Catalogue.  All of the items can be seen here:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

ELIOT,  T.  S. THE COMPLETE POEMS AND PLAYS (Louis  Untermeyer's  copy
with  TYPED  LETTER SIGNED from Eliot). New York: Harcourt, Brace  and
Company   (1952).  First  Edition.   Gallup  A60.  Provenance:   Louis
Untermeyer  (letter  from Eliot, note on flyleaf). LOUIS  UNTERMEYER'S
COPY  OF  THE FIRST COLLECTED EDITION. On the flyleaf  Untermeyer  has
written,  "E's  mock-Learish description of self: 93." Tipped  to  the
front  pastedown is an envelope containing a TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS)
from  Eliot to Untermeyer, 13 April 1955: "... Curiously enough, I was
only  recently  looking at a piece that you had written about my  work
for  a  volume  you  are  doing for Simon  &  Schuster.  So  far  as I
understand  the  nature of the volume, it seems a great compliment  to
anyone  to be included. I have ventured to suggest the correction of a
few  biographical  errors  of fact which I thought you would  like  to
have  right.  I am certainly very much flattered by the general  tenor
of  the  article.  The only thing of which I do complain is  that  you
should  quote  from that absurd and tendentious book called 'The  T.S.
Eliot  Myth'  without pointing out that the allegations are  untrue. I
might  as  truthfully be charged with cannibalism as with most of  the
offences  that  Mr.  Robins lays at my door!" Housed  in  a  handsome,
custom  green quarter morocco clamshell box. Near Fine in a Very  Good
dustwrapper and Fine case.                                    $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent