[Rarebooks] FA: Controversial 1698 Mississippi Travelogue!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu May 11 15:14:02 EDT 2006

We are pleased to be auctioning an interesting reprint of a scandalous &
entertaining American travelogues; offered without reserve, because
traveling without reservations is always *so* much more interesting-

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

"A NEW DISCOVERY OF A VAST COUNTRY IN AMERICA"  By Father Louis Hennepin,
edited and introduced by Reuben Gold Thwaites. Published by A.C. McClurg &
Co., 1903. "Reprinted from the second London issue of 1698"

A very important and ultimately controversial 17th century travelogue, this
narrative is one of the first written descriptions of North America. Its'
author, Father Louis Hennepin, was a Franciscan Recollect Friar who
accompanied La Salle on his Western expedition of 1679 to reach the Gulf of
Mexico from Canada, via the Mississippi River. Written after Hennepin's
return to Europe, and originally published in French in 1697 and in English
in 1698, "A New Discovery of a vast Country in America" was Hennepin's
description of that expedition.

Hennepin tells of his travels with La Salle on the Griffon, the first ship
on the Great Lakes, to Green Bay and across the Mississippi by the Illinois
route. From there Hennepin was sent with an expedition, led by Michel Aco,
which was the first to explore the upper Mississippi valley. They ascended
the river to Minnesota, where they were captured by the Issati Sioux. The
party was eventually rescued by Duluth who insisted on their release,
though some claim that Hennepin's constant complaints and lectures had
already become so tedious to the Sioux, that they were happy to be rid of him.

Unfortunately, Hennepin was a notorious liar. In his accounts he claims
close association with La Salle, but La Salle thought little of Hennepin,
even warning his colleagues about Hennepin's habit of exaggeration.
Prompted by his efforts at political maneuvering and his own penchant for
tellings fibs, Hennepin's accounts of his journeys along the Mississippi
vary from only slightly overblown to outright plagiarism. He claims to have
traversed both the upper and the lower Mississippi all the way down to the
Gulf of Mexico, but the time between his departure from the country of the
Illinois and his capture by the Issati is not sufficient for such a long
canoe voyage.

Despite the falsehoods about some aspects of the expeditions described in
his narrative, Hennepin's book became a standard text on North America. It
should also be said that he was an acute observer, and his books contain
detailed and accurate descriptions of the characteristics, arts, and
customs of the Indians. He made careful note of the wildlife they
encountered, and his descriptions of natural history convey not only a
physical description of the animal in question, but Hennepin's own personal
reaction to the creatures as well. His is the first written description,
complete with illustration, of Niagara Falls and his examination of every
facet of American Indian culture is a gold mine of information.

This 1903 edition of "A New Discovery of a Vast Country in America" is
reprinted from the second London issue of 1698, with facsimiles of the
original title-pages, maps, and illustrations. Also included are an
introduction, notes and index by editor Reuben Gold Thwaites. The two pull
out maps are in very nice condition and there are several black & white
plates, including a woodcut illustration of Niagara Falls.

Exaggerations and downright lies aside, this is a fascinating sketch of the
New World as it was when the Europeans first touched it. It will be a fine
addition to any library of Early American exploration.

We also have books on Americana, Central America, fishing, gardens, gas
warfare, Victorian fashion, & more-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.