[Rarebooks] FA: 1811-The American Review of History & Politics

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Sat May 13 09:45:53 EDT 2006

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

The American Review of History and Politics and General Repository of
Literature and State Papers. No.II. April, 1811 [and] No. III. July, 1811

Edited by Robert Walsh. Published by Farrand and Nicholas, 1811

Unfortunately, "The American Review", the first quarterly magazine
published in the United States, only lasted for 8 quarters. Its editor,
federalist Robert Walsh, was considered to be one of the leading men of
letters of his era. Walsh developed "The American Review" to report
regularly on the activities of governments in Europe, particularly in Great
Britain. He modeled his publication after the popular British periodicals,
such as the "Annual Register of England", and the articles concerned
matters such as the political struggle between France and Great Britain and
also gave attention to President James Monroe and the United States Congress.

"The American Review" also contained much nonpolitical material. Walsh
wrote most of the most of the material himself, using contributors when
they made manuscripts available, and included book reviews, speeches and
essays on history, society, geography, and science. Walsh was forced to
stop production of "The American Review" after only eight issues due to
unfavorable political conditions (his pro-English position was unpopular in
1812), lack of contributor, and few subscribers.

Offered here are "The American Review" Vol.I, No.2 and Vol. II, No.1. These
issues contain a lengthy review of the newly published "Works of Alexander
Hamilton"; Letters on France and England; Memoirs of the Philadelphia
Society for Promoting Agriculture; Essay on the Causes and Variety of
Complexion and Figure in the Human Species; Penal Code of the French
Empire; Papers in Relation to the Affairs of Florida, and more.

No reserve.

We also have books on Americana, Central America, fishing, gardens, gas
warfare, Victorian fashion, poetry & more-
<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.