[Rarebooks] FS: Silver books from our new catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu May 18 08:23:03 EDT 2006

A selection from our new MAY-June catalog,
viewable on our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_275.htm>

Andersson, Aron. MEDIAEVAL DRINKING BOWLS OF SILVER FOUND IN
SWEDEN.  Stockholm; Kungliga Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien:
1983. An in-depth study of 25 Medieval silver drinking bowls from Sweden,
featuring exceptionally fine photography. The bowls are fully described and
illustrated, and the author also explores the sources of their decoration
by comparing them with other surviving artifacts of the period. An
interesting study of both Medieval silver and Medieval art and iconography
in more general terms. Hardcover. 8.5"x11.5", 118 pages, numerous b/w
illustrations; light soil, but a nice copy. [08899] $100.00

Clarke, Hermann F. JOHN HULL, A BUILDER OF THE BAY COLONY.  Portland;
Southworth Anthoesen Press: 1940. Limited to 500 copies. The fourth and
final volume in a series of works on 17th century American silversmiths.
John Hull, with his friend and partner Robert Sanderson, was the earliest
documented silversmith working in the American colonies. Hull had emigrated
from England in 1635 and settled in Boston, quickly becoming a noted
artisan. In 1652 he was appointed to make new coins for Massachusetts to
replace the old "clipped" coinage. Hardcover; slipcased. 8"x10", 221 pages,
plus 16 b/w plates. A fine copy, really quite lovely. Slipcase with minor
wear. [08916] $400.00

Fox, Ross Allan C. QUEBEC AND RELATED SILVER AT THE DETROIT INSTITUTE OF
ARTS. Detroit; Wayne State University Press: 1978. A catalog of 48 pieces
of silver in the collection, at the time the finest collection of early
French Canadian silver outside Canada. There are meticulous catalog
entries, silversmith biographies, and a bibliography. A fine and
informative catalog. Hardcover. 8.5"x9", 174 pages, 47 b/w plates plus 62
b/w figures, dj. A very nice copy. [08900] $75.00

Goodison, Nicholas. MATTHEW BOULTON: ORMOLU. London; Christies Books: 2002.
Nicholas Goodison revisits the subject of Boulton's ormolu ornaments and
his manufactory at Soho, and comes away with new and previously unpublished
material. Covering the years 1768 to 1782, the text includes candlesticks &
candelabra, chimneypiece mounts, clock cases, door furniture, ewers,
fenders, furniture mounts, girandoles & sconces, ice pails, ink stands,
knife & cutlery cases, obelisks, picture & cameo frames, sugar dishes, tea
urns, tripods, and vases, as well as the methods by which ornaments were
designed, made and marketed. Appendices list Boulton's patrons, the Soho
Guest 'Register' book, sales catalogues from 1771 and 1778, the inventory
of 1782, a list of numbered ornaments, and the indenture papers of a
worker. "The author has once again combined meticulous research with a
narrative style that makes the book a pleasure to read. Most of the
photographs have been taken especially for this study, and the ornaments
are described and illustrated in greater detail and in larger numbers than
ever before." Hardcover. 8.5"x11", 432 pages, 276 color and 116 b/w
illustrations, dj. New. [90178] $140.00

Hood, William P., Jr. TIFFANY SILVER FLATWARE, 1845-1905. When Dining Was
an Art. Woodbridge; Antique Collectors' Club: 2003. Antique Tiffany silver
flatware is highly sought-after, but collectors are often frustrated by the
lack of available information on patterns and pieces. This definitive book
relates the history of the silver flatware designed and made by Tiffany
between 1869 and 1905, as well as flatware made by others and retailed by
Tiffany between 1845 and 1876. "The story is woven into the broader fabric
of the history of flatware in general and that of dining and food. Based on
research in the Tiffany Archives and elsewhere, this volume discusses and
illustrates 23 Tiffany-made full-line patterns (plus variations) numerous
not-full-line patterns and ten custom patterns. Detailed descriptions and
superb photographs document the extraordinary creativity and craftsmanship
that distinguished much of Tiffany &Co.'s prolific Victorian flatware
production, including more than 125 piece types -many unique to Tiffany-
used for eating and serving 50 food items or categories. Containing a
wealth of well-referenced information set in efficiently organised and
easily readable text, strengthened further by a detailed index, this book
will be of interest to scholars as well as collectors". Hardcover,
8.5"x11", 300 pages, 150 b/w and 250 color illustrations, dj. New. [90175]
$95.00

Jeavons, Sidney A. CHURCH PLATE OF WARWICKSHIRE- DIOCESE OF
COVENTRY.  Cheltenham; Birmingham Archaeological Society: 1963. An
inventory and description of 632 pieces of antique plate found in
Coventry-area churches. The Diocese contains some fine examples of plate
including 3 pre-Reformation examples, one of which, a c.1500 silver-gilt
secular cup now at Monks Kirby, was unrecorded before Jeavons saw it and
photographed and described it for this book. Life is full of minor
miracles, I suppose. Hardcover. 7.5"x10", xii + 92 pages, plus 34 b/w
plates; torn and worn dj. [08898] $65.00

Jolles, J.A. DE SCHUTTERSGILDEN EN SCHUTTERIJEN VAN NOORD-BRABANT,
overzicht van hetgeen nog bestaat. Hertogenbosch: 1933. A study of silver
and metal gorgets and other civic and military medallions in the
Netherlands, arranged by city. My grandfather used to say "when you've seen
one gorget you've seen them all, but he'd never been to the Netherlands...
Softcover. 2 volumes. 6"x9.5", 223 + 256 pages, numerous b/w illustrations;
covers with moderate wear, a little internal soil and a few spots. [08897]
$125.00

Jordan, Louis. JOHN HULL, THE MINT AND THE ECONOMICS OF MASSACHUSETTS
COINAGE. Colonial Coin Collector's Club: 2002. The stories of Colonial
silversmith John Hull and the early days of the Massachusetts mint are
irresistibly intertwined, as this well-documented study makes clear. In
addition to being, with his partner John Sanderson, the first silversmith
working in 17th century Massachusetts, Hull was the Colony's first Mint
Master, and although both major sources to his life and work, Clarke's 1940
biography and Patricia Kane's recent study of Massachusetts silversmiths,
note his mint work, neither delves into it in more than passing. Louis
Jordan, making use of ledgers and other records, changes all that with this
in-depth and consuming study of a silversmith, a mint, and a new coinage
for a new country... Hardcover. 8.5"x11", xx + 348 pages, b/w
illustrations, dj; bibliography. New. [90158] $50.00

- - - - - - -
Many more books on silver, furniture, glass, ceramics, textiles,
folk art & other subjects are featured in our new MAY-June catalog,
viewable on our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_275.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.