[Rarebooks] FS: 2 Civil War related Funeral Pieces

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Nov 1 08:19:50 EST 2006

>From our new 'A GRAVE AFFAIR' catalog-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>

CEREMONIES CONNECTED WITH THE INAUGURATION OF THE MAUSOLEUM AND THE
UNVEILING OF THE RECUMBENT FIGURE OF GENERAL ROBERT EDWARD LEE AT
WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY, LEXINGTON, VA., June 28, 1883. Oration of
John W. Daniel, LL.D. Historical Sketch of the Lee Memorial Association.
Richmond; West, Johnston & Co.: 1883.

      Robert E. Lee died on October 12, 1870 while serving as President of
Washington College (renamed Washington & Lee University). This
booklet describes the organizing of the Lee Memorial Association,
which created a mausoleum in the Chapel which had recently been
completed on the campus, and hired sculptor Edward Valentine to
create the “recumbent figure” of Lee in marble to sit atop the tomb.
It also provides a description and program of the ceremonies to open
and dedicate the memorial, as well as the text of the speeches given
during the ceremonies. It concludes with a rather breathless
recounting of Lee’s Civil War career in the best “their flashing
steeds strode bravely to the ramparts of fiery death and destruction
‘midst the awful cannonading of their merciless foe” tradition.

      Softcover. 5.75”x9”, 83 pages. Covers a bit chipped at the corners,
lower right corner with loss along a crease edge. Spine once clear
taped in two places which has now darkened. Two other places on the
rear cover, along the spine, where tape was evidently removed
causing roughness and a little loss; there is an old, 2.5 inch-long
strip of masking tape with a number written on it on the upper left
corner of the front cover. Inked presentation inscription dated 1953
on the inside of the front cover; the first 10 or so pages are
creased and just a little chipped at the base. Otherwise nice, and
frankly, the covers look a lot better than the description makes
them sound. A fragile catalog in surprisingly good condition.
[09605] $200.00

__________________________________

Townsend, Rev. P. A SERMON PREACHED OCTOBER 26, AT STAFFORD SPRINGS, AT
THE FUNERAL OF JAMES W. BROOKS, of Co. I, 16th REGIMENT CONNECTICUT
VOLUNTEERS, WHO DIED OCTOBER 11th, FROM WOUNDS RECEIVED AT THE BATTLE OF
ANTIETAM, SEPTEMBER 17th, 1862. Palmer, Mass.: G.M. Fisk & Company: 1862.

      Made up of volunteers from Hartford and surrounding towns, the 16th
Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry mustered into service in
August, 1862. Within three weeks, without even having been trained
how to load their guns, they were tossed into the bloody maelstrom
of the Battle of Antietam as part of Harland’s 2nd Brigade of
Burnside’s 9th Corps. Posted on the extreme left of the Union lines
they were ordered to cross the lower bridge at Snavely's Ford and
found themselves in a corn field, were they were raked with fire by
Gregg’s veteran brigade of South Carolinians from A. P. Hill's
Corps. In only a few minutes almost 200 men fell, including Private
Brooks. The Rev. Townsend was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal
Church in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. A poignant reminder of a
famous battle. Uncommon; OCLC locates a single copy. Softcover.
5.75”x8.75”, 18 pages; publisher’s printed light yellow covers;
covers with some soil and spotting, top corner creased and thumbed,
a little internal spotting. [09601] $75.00

__________________________________

"A GRAVE AFFAIR", a catalog featuring 154 books and other items about
gravestones, epitaphs, cemeteries, funeral and mourning customs, how
Society deals with death, and related topics, is now posted on our 'A
GRAVE AFFAIR' website-

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>

We've also updated the GRAVE AFFAIR website with a bibliography of 500+
entries for books and other materials on gravestones, epitaphs, funeral
and mourning customs and related topics, a links page, and some
surprises...

While you're there you can also sign up for our 'Grave Matters' email
list, where we announce website updates, and will be running
catalog-related specials this week.

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.