[Rarebooks] FS: Early 19th Century Epitaph Manuscript & Scrapbook

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Nov 2 11:36:26 EST 2006

>From our new 'A GRAVE AFFAIR' catalog-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>
__________________________________

1840 Scrapbook of Epitaph-related material. England; 1840s. A unique and
interesting 1840 scrapbook of epitaph-related material, evidently put
together by an early Victorian epitaph-enthusiast with wide resources and
plenty of time on his hands. The clippings are arranged neatly in double
columns, with hundreds of short and medium-length pieces clipped from
newspapers, magazines and, regretfully, a few books as well; there are
also some penned notes and handwritten sheets. Some of the material is
dated in ink, and it appears that the earlier pieces date from the 1770s.
There are many epitaphs, and some of the newspaper clippings include notes
from readers who found the epitaphs; there are also several historical
clippings regarding epitaphs.

A fascinating and unique archive of ephemeral material recording epitaphs.
Great fun.

Hardcover. 7.5”x11”, 77 leaves, most with clippings and pages glued to one
side, some to both sides; handsome hand-lettered title page with two
decorations; one, of a skull, appears to be hand-inked; period marbled
boards with a newer leather spine with a black spine label. Boards
somewhat rubbed, contents with some scattered soil, a few spots, a margin
or two chipped, but overall very nice. Engraved armorial bookplate dated
1880 of the Rev. Charles H. Middleton-Wake, of Christ’s College. With- an
index card indicating the book was purchased from noted English bookseller
David Low on 8/6/54. [09565] $600.00

__________________________________

Leatherbound Manuscript Collection of Epitaphs. England, early 19th
century. A fascinating collection of early epitaphs, dating from the 16th
century to 1811 or so, all written in ink on both sides of the first 75
leaves of a handsomely bound (if now very worn) late 18th century
leatherbound blank book. The handwriting can be a little hard to decipher,
but most is legible. In many cases the compiler has included an
introduction explaining the person or circumstance the epitaph relates to.
A unique and interesting late-Georgian-Regency epitaph collector’s
notebook.

Hardcover. 4.25”x7”, about 75 leaves filled in on both sides; another 75
or so leaves are blank; late 18th or early 19th century full polished calf
with a red leather spine label with the single word “Epitaphs” impressed
in gilt; covers rather worn, binding cracking in several places, and the
spine is cracked several times; a binding in delicate condition. Contents
with a little soil and toning, but essentially very nice. [09566] $750.00

__________________________________

"A GRAVE AFFAIR", a catalog featuring 154 books and other items about
gravestones, epitaphs, cemeteries, funeral and mourning customs, how
Society deals with death, and related topics, is now posted on our 'A
GRAVE AFFAIR' website-

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>

We've also updated the GRAVE AFFAIR website with a bibliography of 500+
entries for books and other materials on gravestones, epitaphs, funeral
and mourning customs and related topics, a links page, and some
surprises...

While you're there you can also sign up for our 'Grave Matters' email
list, where we announce website updates, and will be running
catalog-related specials this week.

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.