[Rarebooks] FS: Rare 1813 American Masonic Death Pamphlet

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Nov 3 14:30:27 EST 2006

>From our new 'A GRAVE AFFAIR' catalog-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>
__________________________________

Sterry, Consider. MASONIC FORMALITIES OF BURYING THE DEAD, together with
the ancient charges at initiation, &c. As performed by the best working
lodges, and most intelligent Masons in America.

Norwich; Printed by R. Hubbard for the author: 1813.

An interesting pamphlet which outlines the complete Masonic funeral
ceremonies, with 2 diagrams illustrated with woodcut coffins. Consider
Sterry [1761-1817] was a civil engineer, mathematician and the Past Master
of the Somersett Lodge. He published several books on mathematics, and in
1807 he wrote to Thomas Jefferson, proposing a new method of determining
longitude for ships at sea. A small ownership label indicates that this
item was once in the collection of George Brinley, the famed 19th century
collector of rare Americana. Scarce- OCLC only locates microform copies,
which were made from an imperfect copy, closely cropped, with several
pages missing. Ours is complete.

Softcover. 3.5”x6.5”, title page + 25 pages; 2 diagrams with woodcut
coffins; bound in period marbled paper, stitched. Covers with some wear,
splitting along the bottom portion of the spine, but remarkable well
preserved; small label inside the front cover with printed header
“Brinley” and inked numbers “6753”. Contents with minor browning and a
spot or two, but quite a lovely copy. [09619] $1,200.00

__________________________________

"A GRAVE AFFAIR", a catalog featuring 154 books and other items about
gravestones, epitaphs, cemeteries, funeral and mourning customs, how
Society deals with death, and related topics, is now posted on our 'A
GRAVE AFFAIR' website-

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Catalog_288.htm>

We've also updated the GRAVE AFFAIR website with a bibliography of 500+
entries for books and other materials on gravestones, epitaphs, funeral
and mourning customs and related topics, a links page, and some
surprises...

While you're there you can also sign up for our 'Grave Matters' email
list, where we announce website updates, and will be running
catalog-related specials this week.

<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.