[Rarebooks] fs: British Empire in America, 1741 facsimile, maps, 2 vols.

Back Creek Books admin at backcreekbooks.com
Sat Nov 11 12:19:42 EST 2006

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 9173 )  Oldmixon, John (1673-1742). THE BRITISH EMPIRE IN AMERICA,
CONTAINING THE HISTORY OF THE DISCOVERY, SETTLEMENT, PROGRESS AND STATE OF
THE BRITISH COLONIES ON THE CONTINENT AND ISLANDS OF AMERICA (IN TWO
VOLUMES).
New York: Augustus M. Kelley Publisher, 1969. Reprint, Full cloth, Octavos,
[4], xxxvi, 568 & [4], [ii], 478 pages, Fold-out maps. Fine.
      Important history of the colonies, originally published in 1708, which
was Oldmixon's first historical work. This is a quality facsimile reprint
(NOT one of those wretched 'print-on-demand' things) of the revised and
corrected second edition of 1741 with its 8 fold-out maps prepared by Herman
Moll. Volume I covers the continental colonies and volume II the island
colonies. Olmixon had the great challenge of preparing this work from
accounts and memoirs supplied to him by persons with firsthand knowledge and
experience--and often ongoing interests--in the individual colonies. As he
states in his Preface, "Every Province was the best, the most advantageous,
the most inviting; and if [I] did not give that Account of it, the History
would be worth nothing." See HOWES #O61; SABIN #57157. Bound in brown
leather-patterned cloth over boards with gilt lettering and ornaments on
spines, black and red title blocks on spines, upper boards lettered and
border-ruled in gilt. Volume I shows a slight spot of soil to bottom fore
corner of textblock and a spine that is very slightly fallen in. Otherwise
both volumes clean and bright with snug bindings.    $250.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/9173.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $4.00 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. Shipping charges for other carriers or international delivery quoted
individually upon inquiry. Payment accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex,
Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php