[Rarebooks] F.S Rossetti Works 2 Vol. - First Ed. - Dali

bookmaven bookmaven at comcast.net
Mon Nov 13 14:51:51 EST 2006

For your consideration: The Collected Works of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Two
Volumes, Rossetti, Dante Gabriel; Edited with Preface and Notes By William
M. Rossetti, London, Ellis and Scrutton, 1886, First Edition:
Gabriel Charles Dante Rossetti, London, 1828 - 1882-  Italian romantic poet
and painter of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood .Best known for his portraits
and his vividly detailed, mystic poems, including The Blessed Damozel
(1850), and many others. This two volume set of Rossetti's collected works
is the 'first published as a collection' of his: Prose, Tales and Literary
Papers, the 2nd volume is comprised of Translations, Prose and Notices of
Fine Art. Along with Dante and his Circle, Table of Poets (in both vol.),
Poets chiefly before Dante. These two handsome volumes are bound in blue
cloth with bright gilt cover designs created as an allusion and homage to
DGR's famous designs for his own volumes of 1870 and 1881. Mild bumping of
spine ends,vol. I, upper rear hinge rubbed, volume II had mild rubbing of
board, and few cloth wrinkles to upper board. Illustrated blue end papers.
Various pages uncut. Very clean unfoxed, tightly bound. 528, 521 (with
notes), sm 8vo. Images available. First Edition. VG+ to NF-  $160.00

DALI - Dali, Salvador; Edited and Arranged By Max Gerard, Translated by
Eleanor R. Morse, Harry N. Abrams, 1968, First Am. Edition: Salvador Dali to
the reader; "My work is but a reflection, one of the innumerable reflections
of what I accomplish, write, and think. All my painting is only a small
fragment of my total cosmogony". 271 illustrations, including 80 plates in
full color and 23 in toned gravure. The numerous superbly printed
illustrations, including startling details and many works never before
reproduced, are juxtaposed with Dali's own thoughts on the subjects that
most deeply concern him and his painting; war, his wife Gala, space-time,
eroticism, mysticism, etc. Chronology and index to rear. DW heavy weight
gold foil paper, with Dali's The Persistence of Memory (1931) painting
inset, framed in ornately decorated gold foil.  Decorated end papers, cloth
boards and spine brown tones painting of woman's head, with Dali's
signature.  Printed on heavy quality paper. Mr. Gerard, noted French author,
film producer, director and devotee of the arts produced ,under the
supervision of Salvador Dali himself, this luxurious volume, reflecting his
superbly printed illustrations in fine detail. Mild rubbing of spine ends.
No writing, clean text and art. In protective mylar. Beautiful book. 4 to,
242 pp. plus Chronology. First American Edition. Images available. NF/NF
$95.00

Dali's Mustache, A Photographic Interview, Dali, Salvador, and Halsman,
Philippe, Simon and Schuster, N.Y., 1954, First Edition: A very unique book
of photographs, expressions and comments on the individualistic, surrealist
painter Salvador Dali. Photographed by the equally legendary Philippe
Halsman.Preface by Dali, on his 'Mustache'. Halsman asks Dali a series of
questions, and photographs Dali's expressions, with the captions, such as:
(H)"What do you think of Communists Growth during the last hundred years?
Dali "From the point of view of hair on the face, there has been a steady
decline". Photo; Dali with buttons of Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, Malenkov,
hanging from his Mustache, from left to right; (H)"Dali, What makes you
Tick?" Dali, "My Hair spring of course" photo of Dali's face as Clock, with
Mustache hands; and my favorite, (H) "I have a hunch I have discovered your
secret, Salvador. Are you Crazy?", Dali, "Me crazy? I am certainly saner
than the man who paid a dollar and a half for this book", with a priceless
photograph. And many others. A Postface by Halsman, 'How the project
started,' How they did it,' 'Is it only a joke?'. To the rear of the book,
publisher's notes on 'How some of the Photographs were made, i.e.: pg. 113.
"Atomic Explosions,"  in brief, Halsman ordered a special aquarium, 1 foot
deep, 1 1/2 ft. long with a transparent bottom. With the expression of a man
being led to his execution; with Dali's head underwater, he squirted milk
from his mouth when the strobe lights went off. Fantastic Photo! A wonderful
collectable for any Dali, Halsman or photography collector. First Edition.
Black and white glossy illustrated boards. Minor rubbing of spine ends, rear
corners. Price to rear lower left corner, to middle of rear board, "WARNING!
This Book Is Preposterous. 12 mo, 126pp. Clean, tight near fine. First
Edition. Very good to NF. $85.00

Thank you,
Michelle Levick
Bookmaven, Inc.
http://www.bookmaven.net
Seller & Buyers of Antiquarian, Out-of-Print Literature
Accepting: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover,
Paypal, Money Orders
Discounts on Multiple purchases.
Ventnor NJ 08406
(609) 822-4993