[Rarebooks] FS: Silversmiths of Little Rest- Ltd. ed. w/great letter!

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri Nov 17 08:12:21 EST 2006

>From our brand new
BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

Miller, William Davis. "THE SILVERSMITHS OF LITTLE REST"

Kingston: printed for the author by D.B. Updike and the Merrymount Press
in an edition of 150 copies: 1928.

The extremely scarce original edition of this sought-after work. Six
silversmiths worked in Little Rest (now Kingston) Rhode Island in the late
18th century. Samuel Casey the silversmith/counterfeiter was the most
famous, but the other five were also interesting characters. One was
Samuel's brother in flesh but not crime, and another served on the jury
which convicted Samuel... and so it goes.

This copy of the book contains a handwritten letter from William Davis
Miller to printer and Saturday Review of Literature editor Carl P. Rollins
soliciting a review and mentioning that 150 copies of the book were
printed, of which 100 were at that time for sale by Boston bookseller
George Goodspeed.

Hardcover. 8"x10", 50 pages plus 10 b/w gravure plates, with several line
illustrations in the text; printed in fine, deckle-edged paper with
hand-marbled endpapers; light cover wear and a little soil. [02983]
$500.00

 and we liked this elegant book so much that we reprtinted it!

"THE SILVERSMITHS OF LITTLE REST" Joslin Hall Publishing: 1992.
Edition limited to 250 numbered copies. A facsimile reprint of the scarce
1928 edition. Hardcover. 8"x10", 50 pages plus 10 b&w plates; printed on
acid-free paper and clothbound; dj. [23356] $65.00

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER & SILVERSMITHS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

FALL, 2006
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_287.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.