[Rarebooks] For Sale: Fitrzherbert's "Graunde Abridgement" of the Common Law, 1577

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Sat Nov 18 16:27:54 EST 2006

FITZHERBERT, ANTHONY.   LA GRAUNDE ABRIDGEMENT, COLLECTE PAR LE IUDGE
TRESREUEREND MONSIEUR ANTHONY FITZHERBERT ... PER CEO  CORRECTE . .
.  NOUELMENT  ANNOTE . . .  [London]: Richardi Tottelli,
1577.   Somewhat worn later linen, labels gone, approx. 10 X 7-1/2
inches, bookplate removed, folio 2 of part 1 repaired (no loss), last
few folios lightly stained along top margins.  [1], 257, 259-342,
[1], 66  folios, as noted by ESTC, collation in 8s.   2 elaborate
woodcut title pages, 2 colophons.  In black letter law French.  Of
great importance in the codifying of British Common Law (which we
inherited), described by DNB as "emphatically the 'Grand
Abridgement,' the first serious attempt to reduce the entire law to
systematic shape."  A legal landmark, first published in 1514. ESTC
locates 8 copies in the US: Columbia, Folger, Harvard, Huntington, U
Kansas, U Minn., U Texas &
Yale.  $3900.00
  (Dealer Discount 10%)

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA Emeritus Member), 113 Creeks Edge, Chapel Hill,
NC USA 27516-8962
Telephone: 919-967-9287 email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (Over 50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, checks (in USA funds
drawn on a US bank), cash (by registered mail), and money orders.