[Rarebooks] FS: Gelett Burgess. The Lark

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Wed Nov 22 08:03:13 EST 2006

BURGESS, GELETT.  LARK. 2 VOLUMES, THE. San Francisco: William Doxey,
1895-97. Illustrated by Ernest Peixotto, Florence Lundborg and Willis
Polk. Attractive pictorial bindings. Complete run. All published.
Book I and II, nos. 1-12 and 13-24, plus "The Epilark". "Each number
consisted of sixteen square twelvemo pages, printed on one side of
brownish bamboo paper, a bale of which Burgess had found in San
Francisco's China town and which, remarked Carolyn Wells forty years
later, "today disintegrates when you look at it..." Mott Vol. IV, pg.
388. Gelett Burgess and his young aesthetic pals started this
magazine with just $100. "for a lark". It did so well that William
Doxey offered to publish it after Number 1. These present copies'
paper have not disintegrated but the preliminary pages before Number
1, have suffered some indignities. The list of contents of the first
book have become loose. Those pages also have tape repair. The
binding is strong on both volumes and no pages are missing. There is
some soiling to the boards and spines.  $575.00

<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSBU73121.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSBU73121b.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSBU73121c.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSBU73121d.jpg>
<http://www.oldbooks.com/images/PHBOOKSBU73121f.jpg>

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

http://www.oldbooks.com

7 day return with notice, if not as described. 5 day hold. We accept
Paypal, money orders, cashier checks. We accept personal checks from
bookdealers and known customers.